[TheThinkTank] Incentivizing regular shifts in volunteer run shops!

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Tue Aug 7 22:30:17 PDT 2018

I second Mark's advice, my experience is similar. Fewer, more reliable
days are more important than wishful advertised hours. Not being open
when the public has been notified that you are is a surefire way to
deflate  broader support and visibility - much better to disappoint with
fewer days that people at least know they can trust. People want to know
whether you're for real.

Unfortunately my experience has been that the only way to get real
reliability is to pay people. With only incentives and no real
penalties, people will always flake out. Maintaining a comprehensive and
easy to use system for coordinating volunteers similar to the one Enzo
suggested could work, but my take is that it would need a dedicated and
reliable facilitator.

One unorthodox alternative might be to never have posted hours. Once
upon a time our shop unofficially operated that way, we had posted hours
but this was before Facebook and the physical shop sign was worn enough
to be illegible. We had a paid manager/director, but they often flaked.

There were out-of-control key holders, in other words an unknown number
of them (I was one), and basically during these years the community got
trained just to roll by RIBs when they had needs to see if the shop was
open. I think we also had a landline then and sometimes people would
call and see if anyone would answer.

Partially this worked (sort of) because RIBs was situated in the heart
of the physical community it was servicing; people only had to walk or
roll a few blocks to check on us.

The other reason that it worked was that competent keyholders were in
the shop so frequently (albeit at random) that rolling by the shop
rewarded the visitor with open doors more often than closed ones.

Eventually this system broke down because for whatever random reason the
critical mass of these competent keyholders ablated and the shop was
closed more often than not. But it is worth considering that if a less
structured and more anarchist way of functioning is attractive,
proliferating keyed access to a growing, trusted group might keep the
shop open often enough that predictable hours becomes less important.

On balance though, I'd say begin seriously considering paid positions in
mixture with volunteer ones. It really helps.

cyclista Nicholas