[TheThinkTank] Boise Bicycle Project Seeks Lead Mechanic

Emily Summerhays emily at boisebicycleproject.org
Wed Aug 22 18:04:55 PDT 2018

Boise Bicycle Project seeks a full time, lead mechanic in one of the most
exciting bicycling communities in the country!

Boise Bicycle Project Lead Mechanic

BBP’s Mission

The Boise Bicycle Project (BBP) is a nonprofit bicycle cooperative that
promotes the personal, social, and environmental benefits of bicycling. It
functions as a bicycle recycling center as well as an educational workspace
in a diverse and non-threatening atmosphere. Through education and access
to quality affordable bicycles, BBP strives to build a stronger bicycling
community.

The BBP Experience

Community

When you enter our doors, you have entered a place of community. Everyone
is welcome to get their hands dirty, and all bikes belong.

Connection

Once inside, we will work together to connect you to where you need to go.
By sharing tools, knowledge, and experiences in a cooperative space, we can
learn from each other and remove barriers that block opportunities.

Empowerment

When you exit our doors you leave empowered with the resources and
confidence to engage in other opportunities. Through pedal-power and
people-power, we can build the community we want to live and ride in.

Position Summary

The Boise Bicycle Project seeks a Lead Mechanic to make bicycles, bicycle
repair and bicycle education available to the entire community regardless
of income.  The Lead Mechanic works with the Shop Manager and team
mechanics to reach impact goals in making SAFE, RELIABLE, SERVICEABLE,
AFFORDABLE and FUN bicycles available to the community in need. Through
staff education, leadership, and hands on DIY bicycle repair, the Lead
Mechanic fosters an empowering environment where bikes are fixed and
barriers are broken.

Essential Job Responsibilities

Leadership and Mechanic Education 30%

   -

   Manage Shop Floor during open hours when Shop Manager is not available
   -

   Collaborate with Shop Manager with hiring and onboarding of Bike
   Mechanics
   -

   Educate/train Bike Mechanics on Bike Sales and DIY standards
   -

   Assist fellow staff members with the bike repair problems they encounter
   -

   Create systems for mechanics, volunteers, and youth to continually grow
   mechanic skills.
   -

   Assist facilitators with service writing of incoming walk-ins and members

DIY Repair and Shop User & Staff Experience 30%

   -

   Work with Walkins, Members, and Work Trade, setting standards for
   customer service
   -

   Maintain a positive empowering and educational shop experience for
   Staff, Members, Volunteers and Program Participants
   -

   Utilize 360-degree vision to offer coaching and support to team
   mechanics working with our customers

Resource/Inventory Management 20%

   -

   Work with Shop Manager to manage bike repair/accessory related
   inventory, organization, and cleanliness of the shop
   -

   Support shop manager in placing bi-weekly inventory orders, assessing
   shop needs for new product offerings, process inventory upon delivery
   -

   Maintain work benches with appropriate functional tools for all shop
   users
   -

   Maintain systems that ensure donated quality affordable bike parts are
   available to customers, and new inventory compliments gaps
   customer/mechanic needs

SAFE, RELIABLE, SERVICEABLE, AFFORDABLE and FUN bicycle Creation 20%

   -

   Biking Building for Quality Affordable Bikes program
   -

   Direct Bike Mechanics in maintaining a diverse assortment of quality
   affordable bicycles for programs and public

Job Skills and Requirements:

   -

   You have a passion for teamwork, a black belt in communication, and an
   arsenal of interpersonal skills
   -

   You enjoy working with people from all walks of life, all backgrounds,
   and all ability levels.
   -

   You’ve been paid to wrench on a wide variety of bicycles for over 3 years
   -

   You’ve used the phrase “Steel is Real.” Rigid steel bikes will always
   have a soft spot in your heart. The simplicity of frictions shifters makes
   you warm and fuzzy. But those wonders from the past haven’t road blocked
   your brain for new technology.
   -

   You’ve got the skills to pay the bills and a passion to teach what you
   preach
   -

   You’ve spent a significant time volunteering with nonprofits or working
   on community projects
   -

   You love systems and organization, but embrace evolution and flexibility

How to Apply:

Please email the following to emily at boisebicycleproject.org

   -

   1 example of working as a team to overcome a barrier
   -

   1 examples of past volunteer history in community based organizations
   -

   1 example of how bicycle repair has had an impact on your life
   -

   Cover Letter and Resume.

This 40 hour/week job located in Boise Idaho. Weekend availability is
required, and the BBP leadership team cooperates with a “Saturday Share”
rolling schedule on a monthly basis, so that we can practice work/life
balance while working together to support the shop needs. Leaders at BBP
can expect to work 1-2 Saturdays each month depending on the shop schedule
and scheduled time-off for team members.

$14 - 15/hour (depending on experience) plus an employee benefits package
that includes medical insurance, paid time off, and commuter incentives.

We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran
status or any other characteristic protected by law.

--
Emily Thompson Summerhays
Director of Shop Operations

https://youtu.be/D-v5vS-03gk?t=8s