[TheThinkTank] City 'backed' co-ops

Jim Sheehan jim at ohiocitycycles.org
Fri Aug 31 14:36:46 PDT 2018

OCBC has worked closely with the City of Cleveland over the years as a
subcontractor for SRTS education, first through the Dept of Health and then
directly for the school District, and have done lots of work with the Rec
Dept. for local EAB's at Rec Centers (funded with grants that we obtained).
I would not say we are in any way "backed" by them though -- we were
invited by a previous councilman to seek City funding for an Earn a Bike
program, but found the application and reporting requirements too
burdensome to be worth it.

Having this kind of partnership with a gov't entity helps with "legitimacy"
but also leads some to think that we are "government funded" and therefore
everything we do or sell should be free.

Good luck, Sylvie -- report back with your conclusions, please!
Jim

Jim Sheehan
Executive Director
Ohio City Bicycle Co-op