[TheThinkTank] Working Bikes looking for a Volunteer Manager
trevor at workingbikes.org
Tue Dec 4 12:58:10 PST 2018
based in Chicago, is looking for its first Volunteer Manager.
We're looking for someone to keep our volunteer sessions inclusive and
welcoming while passing on skills to the volunteers. We're also putting the
new position in charge of our two local donation programs, the Cycle of
Peace (for youth) and Cycle of Power (for adults), as the WB vols crank out
the vast majority of our 1000 or so local donations each year.
Please see the description below and feel free to reach out with any
questions. Applications (cover letter and resume) should be directed to
jobs at workingbikes.org.
*Working Bikes – Volunteer Manager*
Working Bikes is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that gives donated
bicycles new life by redistributing them as tools of empowerment in local
and global communities. Countless bicycles are discarded or sit unused in
storage across the United States every year. But a bicycle is a vital tool
when put to use. Bicycles can provide access to jobs, education, medical
attention, and other resources—truly changing the life of an individual,
their family, and their community. Since its founding in 1999, Working
Bikes has recovered tens of thousands of discarded and donated bicycles
from Chicago and the Midwest, and has redistributed more than 50,000 of
them worldwide. Twenty years into its efforts, Working Bikes is more
impactful than ever and excited to continue to grow its impact.
Global Impact: Working Bikes ships thousands of bicycles each year to our
partners in countries throughout Latin America and Africa, including El
Salvador, Guatemala, Panama, Nicaragua, Uganda, Lesotho, Sierra Leone,
South Africa, and Ghana.
Local Impact: Working Bikes has two programs to donate bikes to individuals
and partner organizations in Chicago. The Cycle of Power program provides
bikes, locks, and helmets to adults in need of sustainable transportation.
The Cycle of Peace program provides bikes to youth. Organizations of all
sizes partner with Working Bikes to offer their clients access to bicycles,
including organizations addressing homeless transition, refugee
resettlement, veteran support, community health, youth empowerment, and
The Working Bikes Volunteer Manager is responsible for the direction and
management of volunteer programming at Working Bikes as well as the
day-to-day management of the Cycle of Power/Cycle of Peace program. The
position reports to the Working Bikes Executive Director.
· Design the Working Bikes volunteer program for maximum refurbishing
· Lead volunteer repair sessions, including instructing volunteers in
· Coordinate with Working Bikes mechanics for skill building
· Onboard new volunteers, including registration, orientation, and
skill set assessment to ensure appropriate volunteer opportunities for each
· Track and analyze volunteer participation and attendance
· Facilitate and support meetings of the Volunteer Committee, aka the
Volunteer Kitchen Crew
· Conduct outreach to attract new volunteers, including attending
· Design and maintain a group volunteer program that contributes to
the overall Working Bikes goal of refurbishing bikes for donation and
preparing bikes for overseas shipments
· Work with other Working Bikes staff, including the Warehouse
Manager, Community Engagement Manager, Bike Shop Manager, to identify and
staff appropriate volunteer activities
*Local Bike Donation Programs (Cycle of Power/Cycle of Peace)*
· Receive and process applications for local bike donations,
responding to inquiries and corresponding with applicants
· Maintain local bike donation applicant list and calendar
· Coordinate and ensure local bike donation request fulfillment
· Keep organization stakeholders (staff, volunteers, and Board)
abreast of donation needs and progress
· Instill enthusiasm for the program
*Brandon’s Bike shop and facilities upkeep*
· Maintain a clean, organized and well-stocked shop space
· Ensure general volunteer space, including kitchen, is clean and
· Assist in maintaining organization in shipping dock and other
spaces within the Working Bikes warehouse
· Manage volunteer at workingbikes.org email account
· Maintain volunteer software, including use of SalesForce and the
MySQL Working Bikes volunteer database
· Schedule and communicate with volunteer groups
· Excellent communication skills and an ability to thrive in a
fast-paced environment populated with a diverse array of community members.
· Motivated by a love of bicycles and service
· Ability to shift gears quickly to ensure that the volunteer
programming is robust and changing in accordance to the needs of volunteers
and bicycle recipients alike.
· Self-motivated, comfortable with ambiguity, and flexible.
· Desire to grow with organization and provide leadership.
· Critical thinker. Consistently identifies, gathers, and applies
relevant information to one’s work.
· Enthusiasm for the mission and work of Working Bikes and passion
for making the world a better place.
· Spanish speaking a plus.
Working Bikes is an equal opportunity employer. Working Bikes does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender
identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status,
veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We
encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Compensation is $15.50 - $18.50 per hour commensurate with expertise and
previous experience. Our benefits package is comprehensive, including paid
vacation and health insurance.
If you’re interested in joining the WB team as its Volunteer Manager,
please send your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest and
qualifications to jobs at workingbikes.org. Interviews will be conducted on a
rolling basis until the position is filled. The Volunteer Manager can get
started as early as January 2nd, 2019.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Thethinktank