[TheThinkTank] how to peel a banana

Ron Kellis ron.kellis at velocitycoop.org
Wed Dec 5 13:35:53 PST 2018

I'll preface this by stating that I often find vocabulary a challenge. Is
this a problem to others when doing hands off teaching and if so, how do
you work through it? Can you stick to the principle when 4 others are
waiting for help?

Ron

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 10:48 AM Ainsley Naylor <needleandthread at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I lead (past tense and present tense!) the Hands Off Teaching workshops at
> Bike!Bike!
>
> Someone always asks me for my workshop notes and they are not super
> coherent unless you are me, so I'm reluctant to post them here, but will
> happily email them if anyone wants to check them out.
>
> *In regards to the Fruit Activity, here's the deal:*
>
> This activity was originally done with mangoes and knives at Bike!Bike!
> 2010! but I can't always find mangoes, and this year I couldn't travel with
> a dozen steak knives in my bag ;) In the past we have also used apples,
> oranges and bananas.
> The purpose of the activity is to have folks split up and attempt to
> engage in Hands Off Teaching where one participant is instructing and the
> other participant is trying to complete an action (peeling/slicing a fruit)
> only by following the directions they have been given. An added instruction
> is that they person with the fruit doesn't know what it is and hasn't
> interacted with it before (like a front derailleur, haha).
>
> Because there are so many people in the workshop we usually have other
> folks observing each group as well.
>
> *What are the goals?*
> To reflect upon the concepts and challenges of teaching in a DIY space
> which we have already discussed during the workshop which include:
> keeping Hands Off while assisting and instructing
> Clear, understandable instruction including describing tasks and possible
> outcomes
> Collaborative teamwork including asking questions (from both sides) and
> positive feedback
> successful completion of goal, through whatever path you collectively
> determine to be achievable
>
> After giving folks 5-10 minutes to do the activity we come back together
> to share feedback on the experience. The *pretend you've never seen a
> banana before* part is always the most difficult and funniest part of the
> challenge.
>
> Hope that helps!
> ainsley.
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:41 AM <wormsign at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Loconte
>>
>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 15:35, Sunny Nestler <programs at bikecoop.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> Can someone explain to me how you facilitated the peeling a banana
>> segment of the "Hands Off Wrenching" workshop at the LA Bike!Bike! ? I
>> didn't go to that workshop but it sounded really cool, and someone from my
>> shop went and was describing it to me. I think I wanna use it in a workshop
>> I'm leading but I want more info! Also thinking of incorporating a banana
>> split follow up activity, because those are delicious!

> [...]

Ron Kellis | Véloteer & Basic Maintenance Instructor  | VéloCity Bicycle
Co-op | 2111 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria, VA  22301 | velocitycoop.org
| +1 (703)
549-1108