[TheThinkTank] Thethinktank Digest, Vol 141, Issue 2

Tegan Moss tegan at communitybikeshop.org
Wed Jun 6 05:25:08 PDT 2018


The bikecollectives.org wiki has detailed info about running a successful
bike drive be sure to read over it if you are planning one!

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018, 4:04 PM , <
thethinktank-request at lists.bikecollectives.org> wrote:

> Send Thethinktank mailing list submissions to
>         thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/listinfo.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         thethinktank-request at lists.bikecollectives.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         thethinktank-owner at lists.bikecollectives.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Thethinktank digest..."
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Bike Drive! (Joe Spelde)
>    2. Re: Bike Drive! (Ulick O'Beirne)
>    3. Re: Bike Drive! (Karen Overton)
>    4. Re: Bike Drive! (Eric Brozell)
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Joe Spelde <jspelde at bgch.org>
> To: "thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org" <
> thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 02:15:37 +0000
> Subject: [TheThinkTank] Bike Drive!
>
> Hey all,
>
> I'm launching an earn-a-bike program at the Boys and Girls Club
> of Holland, and we are looking to host a bike drive to help us get enough
> bikes for the kids. I just wanted to reach out and ask if anyone has any
> advice or knowledge on running a successful bike drive.
>
> Also, i'd appreciate any other insight regarding earn-a-bike
> programs..I've mostly looked at "Tools for Life" as a guide thus far.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> Joe Spelde
>
> Teen Program Assistant
>
> Boys and Girls Club of Holland
>
> e-mail: jspelde at bgch.org
>
> phone: (616) 392-4102 x 119
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: "Ulick O'Beirne" <ulickobeirne at gmail.com>
> To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 12:25:41 +0100
> Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Bike Drive!
> That's great. we're in a similar position. I found getting a piece in the
> local paper really worked (we got 40 bikes very quickly); also connecting
> to local cycling clubs who may have old bikes (these guys usually know the
> difference between rubbish and useful too). Faacebook and small videos are
> good. As are public wish lists in community spaces.
>
> In the past I've found the worst thing to be poor quality bikes getting
> dropped off (even ones that are only fit for recycling), which are often of
> very little value, and take more time to process. I saw one community bike
> shop asks for a €10/$10 donation with each bike donated to help with its
> being refurbished. This weeds out the dumpers and the money will come in
> handy. And then I found that people with genuine good bikes who can't
> afford the donation will come find you anyway.
>
> hope that's of some help. Ulick
>
> On 5 June 2018 at 03:15, Joe Spelde <jspelde at bgch.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm launching an earn-a-bike program at the Boys and Girls Club
>> of Holland, and we are looking to host a bike drive to help us get enough
>> bikes for the kids. I just wanted to reach out and ask if anyone has any
>> advice or knowledge on running a successful bike drive.
>>
>> Also, i'd appreciate any other insight regarding earn-a-bike
>> programs..I've mostly looked at "Tools for Life" as a guide thus far.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>> Joe Spelde
>>
>> Teen Program Assistant
>>
>> Boys and Girls Club of Holland
>>
>> e-mail: jspelde at bgch.org
>>
>> phone: (616) 392-4102 x 119
>>
>>
>> ____________________________________
>>
>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>
>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Karen Overton <director at recycleabicycle.org>
> To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 07:50:42 -0400
> Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Bike Drive!
> Check with your local sanitation agency. They may have a listing of places
> to donate items rather than throw them away. You may also want to connect
> with a sympathetic business and ask them to do a collection. Outdoor
> companies, tech companies are always eager to help in NYC. Otherwise, it
> just might be someone from a cycling club that champions a collection in
> their company.
>
> Karen
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 7:25 AM, Ulick O'Beirne <ulickobeirne at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> That's great. we're in a similar position. I found getting a piece in the
>> local paper really worked (we got 40 bikes very quickly); also connecting
>> to local cycling clubs who may have old bikes (these guys usually know the
>> difference between rubbish and useful too). Faacebook and small videos are
>> good. As are public wish lists in community spaces.
>>
>> In the past I've found the worst thing to be poor quality bikes getting
>> dropped off (even ones that are only fit for recycling), which are often of
>> very little value, and take more time to process. I saw one community bike
>> shop asks for a €10/$10 donation with each bike donated to help with its
>> being refurbished. This weeds out the dumpers and the money will come in
>> handy. And then I found that people with genuine good bikes who can't
>> afford the donation will come find you anyway.
>>
>> hope that's of some help. Ulick
>>
>> On 5 June 2018 at 03:15, Joe Spelde <jspelde at bgch.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I'm launching an earn-a-bike program at the Boys and Girls Club
>>> of Holland, and we are looking to host a bike drive to help us get enough
>>> bikes for the kids. I just wanted to reach out and ask if anyone has any
>>> advice or knowledge on running a successful bike drive.
>>>
>>> Also, i'd appreciate any other insight regarding earn-a-bike
>>> programs..I've mostly looked at "Tools for Life" as a guide thus far.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>
>>> Joe Spelde
>>>
>>> Teen Program Assistant
>>>
>>> Boys and Girls Club of Holland
>>>
>>> e-mail: jspelde at bgch.org
>>>
>>> phone: (616) 392-4102 x 119
>>>
>>>
>>> ____________________________________
>>>
>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>
>>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> ____________________________________
>>
>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>
>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Eric Brozell <eric at bikeerie.org>
> To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 14:12:07 -0400
> Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Bike Drive!
> Joe,
>
> One other place that we get donor bikes from is the local police
> departments. They are more than happy to help us out and usually deliver
> them to our shop. There can be a lot of junk bikes in there too. The junk
> bikes we part out and discard to a pile to be recycled. We also have some
> artists that request bike parts for upcycle projects.
>
> Eventually, the word gets out about your program and people are pretty
> happy to see their cast off bikes going to a good cause. So, social media
> can help your efforts too.
>
> Eric Brozell
> Bike Erie
> Pedal Mettle Erie
>
>
> On Jun 5, 2018, at 7:50 AM, Karen Overton <director at recycleabicycle.org>
> wrote:
>
> Check with your local sanitation agency. They may have a listing of places
> to donate items rather than throw them away. You may also want to connect
> with a sympathetic business and ask them to do a collection. Outdoor
> companies, tech companies are always eager to help in NYC. Otherwise, it
> just might be someone from a cycling club that champions a collection in
> their company.
>
> Karen
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 7:25 AM, Ulick O'Beirne <ulickobeirne at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> That's great. we're in a similar position. I found getting a piece in the
>> local paper really worked (we got 40 bikes very quickly); also connecting
>> to local cycling clubs who may have old bikes (these guys usually know the
>> difference between rubbish and useful too). Faacebook and small videos are
>> good. As are public wish lists in community spaces.
>>
>> In the past I've found the worst thing to be poor quality bikes getting
>> dropped off (even ones that are only fit for recycling), which are often of
>> very little value, and take more time to process. I saw one community bike
>> shop asks for a €10/$10 donation with each bike donated to help with its
>> being refurbished. This weeds out the dumpers and the money will come in
>> handy. And then I found that people with genuine good bikes who can't
>> afford the donation will come find you anyway.
>>
>> hope that's of some help. Ulick
>>
>> On 5 June 2018 at 03:15, Joe Spelde <jspelde at bgch.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I'm launching an earn-a-bike program at the Boys and Girls Club
>>> of Holland, and we are looking to host a bike drive to help us get enough
>>> bikes for the kids. I just wanted to reach out and ask if anyone has any
>>> advice or knowledge on running a successful bike drive.
>>>
>>> Also, i'd appreciate any other insight regarding earn-a-bike
>>> programs..I've mostly looked at "Tools for Life" as a guide thus far.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Joe Spelde
>>> Teen Program Assistant
>>> Boys and Girls Club of Holland
>>> e-mail: jspelde at bgch.org
>>> phone: (616) 392-4102 x 119
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ____________________________________
>>>
>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>
>>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> ____________________________________
>>
>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>
>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>
>>
>>
> ____________________________________
>
> The ThinkTank mailing List
>
> Unsubscribe from this list here:
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Thethinktank mailing list
> Thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org
>
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/listinfo.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20180606/5bc8b473/attachment.html>


More information about the Thethinktank mailing list