[TheThinkTank] Bike Drive!

Ulick O'Beirne ulickobeirne at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 04:25:41 PDT 2018

That's great. we're in a similar position. I found getting a piece in the
local paper really worked (we got 40 bikes very quickly); also connecting
to local cycling clubs who may have old bikes (these guys usually know the
difference between rubbish and useful too). Faacebook and small videos are
good. As are public wish lists in community spaces.

In the past I've found the worst thing to be poor quality bikes getting
dropped off (even ones that are only fit for recycling), which are often of
very little value, and take more time to process. I saw one community bike
shop asks for a €10/$10 donation with each bike donated to help with its
being refurbished. This weeds out the dumpers and the money will come in
handy. And then I found that people with genuine good bikes who can't
afford the donation will come find you anyway.

hope that's of some help. Ulick