[TheThinkTank] Youth Bike Programs and Insurance Policies

Jody Davison jodyvick at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 10:00:21 PDT 2019

Hi, I'm an LCI and registered my youth courses on their website, so that
covered my personal liability. I partnered with a Neighborhood Development
Organization and was able to do an insurance rider added on for each season
through them. It wasn't until my second or third year that it occured to us
I should do a background check and we went to where they gather and screen
my fingerprints. I had an earn a bike summer camp where 10 kids were riding
on city streets w myself and 2 rotating volunteers for 5 days a week, ages
10-13. There were never any issues or inquiries.
Noteworthy, it was a very underserved community and I did all the grant
writing to cover the expenses, so I was able to offer camp for free, and
provide breakfast and lunch, so I believe families were just super glad to
have it in an environment without many other similar outlets. There may be
far more scrutiny in other communities. I had a solid three year run
without any issue.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Jody Davison