[TheThinkTank] Youth Bike Programs and Insurance Policies

MoBo Bicycle Co-op mobobicyclecoop at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 19:22:34 PDT 2019

-We have a related consent form issue, for our drop in youth program. We
technically require a signature from kids' responsible adult, but they can
bring in the signed form and we may never see the adult; we often can't
even reach them on the phone. What position are we in if the person signing
it is not in fact in a position to give consent for the child (say, if they
get a friend to forge a signature)?

Thankfully in 11 years of youth programming we've never had an issue that's
needed our waiver!

-Nate

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 5:47 PM bike club <bikeclub at pedalpower.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> We've had similar questions regarding liability stuff with regards to our
> Youth program in Vancouver, BC
>
> Specifically, now that we are running monthly rides as part of our team
> drop in program that has previously been shop based, we have a number of
> questions including:
>
> -what is the age at which a teen can sign their own consent forms (this is
> probably a BC-specific question). Some things seem to indicate 16, 18, 19.
> We're not sure which age applies to this scenario
>
> -if a teen or person of any age we know or dont know meets on on the
> street and wants to join the ride and doesnt have a consent form what are
> the legaliities around being on a ride in a public space and the scope of
> what we are responsible for with folks riding with us?
>
> -if someone wants to leave the ride because we are passing near their
> house on our way back, when does our responsibility end?
>

> Sarah
>
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 10:00 AM Jody Davison <jodyvick at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm an LCI and registered my youth courses on their website, so that
>> covered my personal liability. I partnered with a Neighborhood Development
>> Organization and was able to do an insurance rider added on for each season
>> through them. It wasn't until my second or third year that it occured to us
>> I should do a background check and we went to where they gather and screen
>> my fingerprints. I had an earn a bike summer camp where 10 kids were riding
>> on city streets w myself and 2 rotating volunteers for 5 days a week, ages
>> 10-13. There were never any issues or inquiries.
>> Noteworthy, it was a very underserved community and I did all the grant
>> writing to cover the expenses, so I was able to offer camp for free, and
>> provide breakfast and lunch, so I believe families were just super glad to
>> have it in an environment without many other similar outlets. There may be
>> far more scrutiny in other communities. I had a solid three year run
>> without any issue.
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jody Davison
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, 10:41 PM Cyclista Nicholas <cyclista at inventati.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> cyclista Audrey,
>>>
>>> I don't think you'd be acting responsibly unless you had background
>>> checks run on any staff working directly and unsupervised with youth.
>>> Exceptions might be made if parents attend along with the kids, or if
>>> the environment is highly populated (in other words, no one is ever
>>> alone with the kids).
>>>
>>> Here in Ithaca we have an entity called the Ithaca Child Development
>>> Council that performs background checks, and essentially vets people. As
>>> I understand it, the ICDC then can share the information with the
>>> employer, but I'm not sure the latter happens in every case. There may
> [...]

*MoBo Bicycle Cooperative*
A Project of The Village Green Foundation

*Our Mission ...*

The Village Green Foundation (VGF) cultivates healthy living through
sustainable  nutrition and carbon free transportation.  VGF encompasses
Gardens at the Village Green and MOBO Bicycle Co-Op.

Our Purpose ...

*VGF* brings together diverse members of the Northside community around a
common commitment to community building, urban agriculture, and access to
healthy food and affordable, local transportation.

--------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments transmitted with it
are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. Any review, copying, altering, or
distribution of this email and any attachments by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this
email by mistake, please contact the sender immediately and permanently
delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments
thereto.