[TheThinkTank] Do I have this wrong?

Kevin Dwyer kevidwyer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:32:03 PST 2019

No, you have it wrong. The knowledge has value, even more, because it is
given freely. That is the point of ThinkTank: sharing. If you don't want to
share freely, this is wrong place for you and you are wasting our time.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 1:09 PM <christopher at holisticcycles.com> wrote:

> Tell me if I am wrong. If you work on a bike and make it better, that work
> has value. If I work on a process and make it better, the knowledge has no
> value and should be given away for free?
>

> When
> someone posts to a mailing list to sell a product, to me that
> constitutes cause to block that person from the mailing list.
>
> If you want to freely share here tutorials and techniques for everyone
> to review and learn from, in the interest of helping community bike
> shops hone their skillsets to a higher standard, I'd be the first to get
> interested. As it is, you never post detailed instructions, and quite
> frankly a lot of the processes you allude to are bizarrely out of scope
> with what most of us do on a daily basis. Your posts smell like bait.
>
> I'm personally requesting that you reconsider posting here. In this
> particular case, you even tacked your message onto a completely
> unrelated thread. I mean, might be I'm actually talking to a spam bot.
>
> cyclista Nicholas
>

> On 2019-02-03 05:57, christopher at holisticcycles.com wrote:
> > I will ask a few questions and I am seeking if you have tests to prove
> > your answers.
> >
> > Does a quick release lever change the adjustment of a hub? Yes or No
> > is not important, how do you test to verify your answer is important.
> > How can this test be used to reduce service time to 1/20 the time?
> >
> > What does facing do for the customers ride experience? Nothing/
> > Something? The following answers are guesses, beliefs, not science or
> > engineering based: it should be done, it is done at the factory, it
> > does not need to be done, eliminates pedal click, professional cyclist
> > have it done. So what does it do? how does it improve a cyclist ride
> > experience? How do you verify your answer?
> >
> > How do stainless steel spokes and cables stretch once and then
> > magically become harder and never stretch again? If they do not
> > stretch once, then how do they get longer once? How do you verify your
> > answer?
> >
> > Do Bolts stretch? Yes or No, how do you verify your answer?
> >
> > How does a chain that can stretch at 900 Kg or 2000 pounds of force
> > get stretched on a bike frame that can only support a 160 Kg or 350
> > lbs cyclist. How can a 45 Kg or 100 pound cyclist put 900 Kg or
> > 2000 Lbs of force into a chain to stretch it? Without destroying their
> > knees? How do you verify your answer?
> > Which leads to the question, How does one type of shift lever make a
> > chain function twice as long as another type. How do you verify your
> > answer?
> >
> > Why do mechanics tighten and loosen spokes? When a cyclist uses a
> > wheel spokes get looser. Spokes only need to be tightened to round,
> > dish, tension, and true a wheel. How can finite element analysis and
> > computational fluid dynamics help a mechanic work 36 times more
> > efficiently?
> >
> > How can understanding the Sphere Stacking Equation improve the
> [...]

Kevin Dwyer
Salt Lake City, UT
801.647.0797

IMPORTANT:  This communication is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain information
that is confidential and/or protected by the attorney-client or other
applicable privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if you are
not responsible for delivering this communication to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that the disclosure of this
communication in error, please notify me immediately by telephone at (801)
647-0797, and return the original message to me at the above address via
email.  Thank you.