[TheThinkTank] Seasonal (first ever) Employee - job description

breathingplanet breathingplanet at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 12:56:16 PST 2019

hi ThinkTankers,

after 17 years of hardcore 100% volunteer powered ebbs and flows, Troy Bike
Rescue is poised to take a risk and hire one seasonal staff person (called
shop manager at this point, but it could change) to help us increase
consistency and accessibility of our workshop space.  for us board members
and for me as founder and forever volunteer, it feels a little like
stepping off a cliff, but the current board is badass and motivated and
feeling ready, and I am getting behind it.

Because there is a lot to talk about here, I am writing with the *specific
purpose *of soliciting feedback about writing a job description for said
position.  and I know the think tank will provide.  i love and am
perpetually amazed at the dialog and community demonstrated on this list.

Things we are thinking about:
how can we attract someone with the perfect blend of people and bike skills
with a bunch of words in email or facebook or indeed or wherever?

is making a seasonal 'limit' a bad idea?  it limits our financial risk, but
will also limit the pool of potential applicants.

how can we make a comprehensive and accurate list of job descriptions
without overwhelming a potential applicant or basicall saying "your job is
to do everything!"?

and etc. etc.

If you have a job description handy that has been successful, maybe you
want to paste it into this thread.  if you have feedback that doesnt stray
too far from some of the questions above, that will be helpful too!

Thanks!!
Andrew - Troy Bike Rescue
Troy, NY

ps.  we are coming to bikebike NE and two youthshop coordinators are headed
to youthbike summit!  see yinz there.

--
Andrew Lynn
Certified Arborist