[TheThinkTank] Members vs Volunteers: What's the Diff & How Do You Structure It

Josh Bisker jbisker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 08:51:38 PDT 2019

I've gotten a few interesting responses off-thread to this but want to keep
hammering at it here and see if folks have good ideas.

I'm trying to create clearer pathways to leadership for interested
volunteers, and trying to have "collective membership" be awesome and not
just "kinda like being a volunteer but with more guilt and obligation and
UGH."

How do you approach this stuff in your shop? Do you structure a division
between responsible members and interested volunteers? How do you bring
people across that transition? Also, what's rad about being a member that
makes people want to do it?

Background and concerns: We've got a budding group of charismatic new
volunteers (yay!) and a tired old group of "members" (oy!) aka organizers
with decision-making power and some sense of adopted / begrudgingly
accepted responsibility. (In your group, these might be "board members"
maybe?) In the past, we've had either (1) a lackadaisical/non-systematic
approach to elevating members, or (2) an overly structured but not really
effective way of sharing responsibilities. What happens in the first case
is that after someone becomes a member and attends a meeting, (a) they're
like "y'all are boring and this makes my brain hurt" and then decide not to
do "member-y" stuff anymore, or (b) they participate pretty minimally,
leaving the organizational burdens distributed about the same way they were
before. What happens in the second case is that everyone gets exhausted by
trying to administratively caretake an organizational structure instead of
doing the fun work.

PLZ HALP K THNKS LV U

Josh

Josh Bisker