[TheThinkTank] Bike Saviours in Tempe Seeks a Lead Mechanic Part Time

Nicole Muratore nicole at bikesaviours.org
Mon Nov 4 13:42:38 PST 2019

If full-time isn't your bag, maybe you'll enjoy a part-time schedule
working in an awesome shop!

Job Description: Lead Mechanic (Part-Time)

Bike Saviours Bicycle Collective
1930 South Roosevelt Street, Tempe, AZ 85281
(602) 429-9369 | http://bikesaviours.org

Summary

Bike Saviours Bicycle Collective (BSBC) is a volunteer-run 501(c)3
nonprofit education center devoted to teaching people about bicycle
maintenance, building, and repair. We operate as a tool share that is open
to the public. We provide affordable, repurposed bikes and parts through a
collection of donated and recycled parts from the community.

BSBC seeks a Lead Mechanic to work with the Shop Manager to manage the shop
floor during open hours and lead, mentor, and educate our team of
volunteers in support of the BSBC mission.

Essential Job Responsibilities

Leadership and Mechanic Education 40%

- Educate and assist shop patrons with bicycle repairs

- Establish and maintain standards to ensure safe, quality, and timely work
in the shop

- Manage all shop operations when Shop Manager is not available

Shop User & Volunteer Experience 40%

- Maintain a positive, educational, and empowering shop experience for all

- Offer coaching and support to staff and volunteers working with our
patrons

- Deliver professional, accessible, and equitable customer service to a
diverse patron base

Resource and Inventory Management 20%

- Work with Shop Manager to manage inventory, organization, and cleanliness
of the shop

- Maintain work areas and tools to ensure safe function

- Manage the reconditioning of used bicycles for resale

Job Skills and Requirements

- A passion for bikes

- Respect for and commitment to BSBC’s mission

- You’re a self-starter who enjoys working with people from all walks of
life, backgrounds, and ability levels

- 2 to 4 years of bicycle repair experience on a wide variety of bikes

- Experience working in or with nonprofits and/or community projects

- You’ve used the phrase “Steel is real,” know the N+! principle, and the
simplicity of friction shifters makes you warm and fuzzy. Those wonders of
the past haven’t road blocked your brain from enjoying new technology.

- A strong regard for our Safe Space Policy and ability to address
individuals in violation

- A demonstrated commitment to sustainable communities and transportation

Compensation and Benefits

This is a part-time, non-exempt, hourly position. Pay is $14/hour plus
either paid time off or time-and-a-half pay for all federally observed
holidays. Our shop is a casual, family-friendly, dog-friendly
community-oriented space with a fun and energetic culture.

30 scheduled hours per week:

Sunday/Monday 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm and

Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 3:00 pm – 9:00 pm.

How to Apply

Please email a resume and cover letter to Jim Tolar at jim at bikesaviours.org
with “Lead Mechanic Position” as the subject heading.

Bike Saviours Bicycle Collective is an equal opportunity employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability
status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
law.

Cheers,
Nicole Muratore, Shop Manager
Bike Saviours Bicycle Collective