[TheThinkTank] point of sale / inventory management

Jonathan Rosenbaum gnuser at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 21:25:54 PST 2019

Yes, Positive Spin, the organization I am involved with, utilizes the
Yellow Bike Database (YBDB) for all their shop openings. It is a fork of
Austin Yellow Bike Project's original code that I have been continually
developing since late 2014. Before that point I created several software
demos of existing Community Bike Shop software to explore our options. I
continue to maintain and add software demos so that other bike
collectives can explore their options, and/or join in the process of
developing Community Bike Shop and related software.

Our fork of YBDB has been especially successful for us because it is
easy to use, configurable, versatile, tied into our policies, automates
many tasks like keeping track of volunteer hours, which can be exchanged
for our EAB/parts program via the same interface, exports transaction
data from sales to our bookkeeping system (GnuCash), provides a simple
CRM, and many other features as described at
https://github.com/fspc/Yellow-Bike-Database/wiki/Features .

I was reading on the bikex website that you are the new General Manager
(congratulations on your new role), and one goal being considered is
opening up a Community Bike Shop. However, software-wise if you are
looking at the current model that Silicon Valley Bicycle Exchange now
utilizes, which involves repairing bikes and giving them to folks
referenced by agencies and organizations, Recyclery Bikes and Clients
Database would provide just such a software solution.

Inventory management: Along with the Recyclery Bikes and Clients
Database, BikeShed provides this capability, Workstand recently added
this functionality along with a serial number search at the Canadian
Police database, BikeTree keeps track of rental bikes, YBDB keeps track
of inventory with the Donation transaction type, and BikeBinder provides
dedicated software specific to inventory management.

POS: YBDB, BikeTree, BikeShed and Broke Spoke's Shop Management System
.. also the Bicycle Kitchen POS, but it is outdated.

Currently, the most active projects are the YBDB (fork), Workstand, and
occasionally the Sign-in app.

Play with the demos, and feel free to submit feature requests to the
respective projects.

I am happy to answer additional questions. The challenges of operating a
smooth spinning and trued bike collective, have made me an expert in
this area.

-Jonathan

On 2019-11-09 13:34, Andrew Yee wrote:

> Thanks Jonathan. The list is helpful. Have any personal experience with any of them?
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2019, 10:16 PM Jonathan Rosenbaum <gnuser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> http://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/index.php?title=Software
>
> -Jonathan
>
> On 2019-11-08 17:42, Andrew Yee wrote:
> Hey friends,
>
> The Silicon Valley Bicycle Exchange is considering a point of sale system for some used bike and part sales, and perhaps some new accessories. Inventory management would be helpful. I know Lightspeed [1] is a very popular solution, but I'm curious to learn what other solutions other community shops use and can recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Andrew

Links:
------