[TheThinkTank] Bike!Bike! BOYCOTT

Milwaukee Bicycle Advocates mcbp.inc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 07:21:46 PST 2019

Did anyone else know that being a FORMER (or current) member of the
military would exclude you from Bike!Bike!? I sure didn't. Was anyone else
criticized for their past or present work experience? Gosh, I'm glad I
wasn't! If answers to these few questions can excommunicate someone from a
seemingly inclusive group, let's foreshadow other barriers to attending
next year's Bike!Bike!.

Has anyone in the US paid their taxes lately? Your answer might prove you
guilty of financing a military "defense" program, jails, prisons, and
possible torture facilities, and other horrendous acts of government like
the auto-only interstate road system that rips through and destroys
communities. Do you own stocks in companies or government bonds or even
have a bank account? They're all investing your money in places that Bicis
Disidentes and Enclave Caracol (or future Bike!Bike! organizers) might not
deem appropriate. Here's a big one: Do you regularly drive a car? This is
the very antithesis of cycling, choosing to use a machine that kills
indiscriminately, consumes petroleum, and farts pollution into the air we
breath.

Maybe Eric was targeted by members of Bicis Disidentes and Enclave Caracol
because he was a tall white male in a radical feminist space. Either way, it
was wrong to kick Eric out of Bike!Bike!. He was a very helpful and kind
person who was there to learn and take part in a community dedicated to
getting people on bikes.

Bike!Bike! focuses on making sure that certain types of people are treated
with respect. Gender, race, language barriers, children on board, and
financial assistance are a few examples. And understandably so; they are
too often marginalized. Now why can't we treat ALL humanoids as humanoids,
and not through judgmental filters. Ultimately, I'm drawn back to this
question: what's the purpose of Bike!Bike!? (The website doesn't specify). Are
we meeting to motivate and inspire each other to get more people on bikes?
If so, political, radical, and anarchistic ideals shouldn't be used to
shame. These ideas should be shared as to inform others who might not be
aware of them.

Eric came a long way to help out and learn from a tribe of humanoids who
come together with bicycling as their bond. I can't help but put myself in
his place and feel ousted from this community due to unrelated matters.
Because of this incident, I'm not planning to attend next year's
conference, and I suggest that others do the same if they feel this to be
an injustice. At the very least, I hope people will voice any unsettled
feelings about the exclusive actions made by members of Bicis Disidentes
and Enclave Caracol.

-Mama Vulture

(BACKSTORY BELOW)....

(Posted on the 11th of November)

To the participants of Bike Bike 2019 Tijuana,

We write to inform you all that a person attending the event has been asked
to leave and excluded from the space/festival.

It has come to our attention that Eric, who is a volunteer with Working
Bikes Chicago, has a history of working in the military and in
intelligence/secret services of the United States. He/they currently work
buying and selling gold, petroleum, gas, silver and other natural
´resources,’ and have said that they have no moral or ethical problem in
this line of work.

Enclave Caracol has a strict ¨no police¨ policy which exists for the safety
of people who use the building. We are actively involved in not only
resisting the existing system, but in building alternatives for the future
– both of which are things that bring us into regular conflict with state
authorities and corporations. Furthermore, Enclave is a feminist,
anti’capitalist and anti’authoritarian space. Due to this person’s
proximity to violent state authority and the destruction of land,
communities, cultures and livelihoods via resource extraction, they have
been excluded. This is not only about the people attending Bike Bike 2019,
but is also an act of solidarity with people resisting environmental
destruction, colonization and dispossession all over the world.

The decision to exclude this person from the event was not made via
consensus, meaning some people within the collectives do not agree with the
decision, or were not present when the decision was being made. However
they support the decision. We are aware that the decision is not easy, that
we are not going to satisfy everyone, but we are open to dialogue and
constantly learning.

With love and solidarity,

Members of

Bicis Disidentes and Enclave Caracol

(Posted on the 14th of Oct)

Eric, a 6’5” bright eyed volunteer from Working Bikes, flew from Chicago to
attend his first Bike!Bike! We met Wednesday night while helping to bring
bikes across the border (two at a time). On Thursday, he was helping in the
basement to fix up the bikes.

By Thursday night, he was kicked out of Bike!Bike! I found out the next day
only because the executive director of Working Bikes was worried and
contacted me.

>From the information I received from Eric and a Bike!Bike! organizer,
someone involved with Enclave Caracol took Eric’s bike away and insisted he
leave because of his former military experience and current employment as a
commodities trader. WTF?

I‘ve always found Bike!Bike! to be an inclusive group of humanoids doing
rad things with bikes. Now I question if my lifestyle or others might not
fit the ideals imposed by a few.

Only a small group was informed about this decision, and it wasn’t shared
with the entire group. Furthermore, what happened to the inclusive nature
of Bike!Bike!?

Something about this doesn’t sit right with me, so I don’t think I will be
returning to another Bike!Bike! without better understanding this
situation. Then again, maybe I’m not even wanted..

--

THE MILWAUKEE COMMUNITY BICYCLE PROJECT,

representing the following initiatives:

VULTURE SPACE <http://vulturespace.org> Hands-on Bicycle Workshop &
Recyclery

BICYCLE BENEFITS <http://bicyclebenefits.org> Incentive Program