[TheThinkTank] Bike!Bike! BOYCOTT

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Mon Nov 11 16:49:59 PST 2019

Folks, I'd just like to reiterate here that the claim Bicis Disidentes
and Enclave Caracol made was that Eric had worked with U.S.
intelligence, not that he was ex-military. There's a significant
difference. Anyone able to cite the U.S. military being forbidden in
policing matters should know that much. And nowhere was it mentioned
that Eric had anything to do with the police.

I understand that as contributors to a wonderful movement (community
bike spaces), it can feel crappy and threatening when collaborators
single you out as a white male and get prickly or even angry around you
- or at you - when you've devoted so much to helping create these
worthwhile spaces. It feels like the work you've done should entitle you
to be assumed and appreciated as an ally.

But this is part of being an ally - to realize that, as the process of
succeeding in changing dominant cultures to be better proceeds, a lot of
clashes will happen with those far-too-long disempowered. It can't be
denied that however difficult a white person's personal journey, or how
much work such a person has done to make the world a better place, they
are still the recipient of unceasing favor and the carrier of a
significant amount of questionable programming.

I'm not sure I would have agreed with their decision, even if I knew the
full particulars. And it certainly sucks to go all that way and be
turned away. But it's also a significant blunder to expect a clearly
radicalized space - in central america, no less - to welcome you when
you openly and without regret espouse association with a foreign
nation's intelligence services that are known for an unending stream of
shady and extrajudicial military actions.

In central and south america, the C.I.A. are, among other things,
terrorists and assassins. I wouldn't want one of them or a friend of
them at my meetings, either.

~cyclista Nicholas