[TheThinkTank] Bike!Bike! BOYCOTT

Jesse Cooper jessecooper0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 23:08:09 PST 2019

white middle aged North American cis male here. Been working with community
bikes shops for more than 16 years now in the city of Vancouver, Canada.

hello.

If you present and identify as such as I do, the best thing you can do if a
radical (any) group feels threatened by you, is understand. Period.
Generations of oppression, violence and worse by presentations and
identities such as what I'm born with and have are to be respected when the
traditionally oppressed say " get the fuck out " . ..

Inclusive spaces are inclusive. Even is such that someone presenting as an
oppressor's image doesn't believe or engage in the same harmful activities.
You should still respect the decision of the host and their needs and just
GTFO! Reset somewhere else, and take a breath. Be empathetic to their needs
to ask us to leave, reflect on their trauma, learn from it and move on.

The take away here for anyone told to leave the host city Bike!Bike! is
that just leave. Deliberate another day, with your own peers, and seek
reconciliation within your peer's groups. Reflection and acceptance come
with time and work on your part, not on theirs. But mostly the host's need
to create safe and inclusionary space is theirs to hold.

Those contesting this should only be that as to believe and support the
decision of Bicis Disidentes and Enclave Caracol. They know best what their
needs are and how their oppression has been. Not us. Not men. Not white
men. Not cis white men. Seriously. They have legitimate experience that
should be upheld as valid and respected.

Us presenting and identifying cis white dudes need to back off and give
space when called on.

And simply challenging them on this is an act of further oppression,
colonialist, and ultimately traumatic and violent in it's own end. Because
really , white guy volunteer gets kicked out of a conference, goes back to
volunteering, no real repercussion, but some hurt feelings, and maybe,
hopefully some perspective on representation and privileged at the least.
Meanwhile the group that is ousting said volunteer are dealing with a
mountain of history of trauma, forever, the rest of their lives, everyday.

What's to question here? It's obvious to me that the needs of the oppressed
are greater than the needs of the privileged. No questions.

If any Bike! Bike! would have me, I would love to attend. And I don't doubt
that I would be accepted. If I'm not, then I'm empathetic, and would do
best to reflect graciously on why and respectfully leave.

Jesse Cooper
Our Community Bikes!