[TheThinkTank] Example of Nonprofit + Commercial Shop Synergy?

Stephen Andruski swandruski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 07:27:55 PST 2019

The Rockville Bike Hub in Rockville MD has a good relationship with the
commercial shops in the area. The local Trek store takes in kids bikes as
trade-ins and donates them to us. Those bikes get used for a City of
Rockville program we support. The Trek store also gives us adult bikes that
people get rid of when they buy a new bike, though in that case there's no
"trade-in" given.

The local REI has donated tools to us and allows us to set up at a Farmers
Market in their parking lot. Since we don't stock a lot of parts as a
pop-up shop, we're often directing people to them for those purchases and
then helping people do the installation or repair.

We've also done some bike maintenance workshops with the Trek store,
particularly a women's night event.

Steve Andruski