[TheThinkTank] Example of Nonprofit + Commercial Shop Synergy?

Jesse Cooper jessecooper0 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 21:28:09 PST 2019

At Our Community Bikes we have a solid relationship with several shops in
the area and cross overs on people who use our services.

There's definitely a recognition of first time riders, or people just
getting back into it finding a used bike, and within a period, raising
funds to buy the bike they want from a retailer.

We cross reference repair services depending on our capabilities and stock
in parts. But we have expanded our distributors so much that we can usually
order anything, and now get people who order specialty premium items
because they want to support us, and then buy our service to install it!
It's great!

I think that there have been some contentious issues when a retailer has
seen us as a competitor and made hostile remarks on social media or to
shared users since we've been operating (1993), but they are far and few
between.

Not really the thread question, but a part of it is that our relationship
with other community bike shops in this city is such that there has been an
general alliance formed as the Vancouver Community Bikeshop Network. We
share resources, have regular correspondence and meetings, and partner up
on programs, space, and such. There's even several members who are staff /
volunteers between 2 or more (if not all) of the shops !
(and recently our shop and staffer did a hydraulic workshop for another
group of volunteers from a different community bike shop for example )

the bike shop environment here has been really easy to deal with from our
experience

(But Hub City Cycles in Nanaimo BC when first started had a bad experience
with a local retailer giving too much grief.. another story )

Jesse Cooper
Our Community Bikes
Vancouver