[TheThinkTank] Tire disposal

Jean-François Caron jfcaron3 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 10:02:52 PDT 2019

At the AMS Bike Co-op in Vancouver for a while we had to personally
deliver the tires to an industrial recycler in a really bike-unfriendly
part of town.  We would borrow the student society's pickup truck to do
a delivery a few times per year. They charged by the ton.  IIRC we also
co-operated with other community bike shops to aggregate all our tires
for a single delivery.

Whether they take bicycle tires is really up to the individual
recyclers, you have to call and ask for specifics.  Unfortunately the
volumes are usually so low a lot of companies won't think it's worth the
hassle - even if you pay a fee.

At smaller shops where I've volunteered the tires just end up in the trash.

Jean-François