[TheThinkTank] Tire disposal

Sunny Nestler programs at bikecoop.ca
Tue Oct 15 15:23:31 PDT 2019

Just to add to what JF said re the Bike Kitchen in Vancouver - we combine
tire loads with 2 other community bike shops in town and drive them to a
tire processor in a Modo (car share) pickup truck. We don't pay to recycle
them anymore, they just take them for free and throw them into a pile of
what is mostly semi truck tires. We do have to weigh in/out. They get
chipped on site and used for asphalt production (and probably other things
I don't know about!)

There used to be a second recycler in town and we had tried for several
years to combine tire runs with other bike shops but that never quite got
off the ground for a number of reasons.

Thinking about it makes me tired!

*Sunny Nestler*, *Programs Manager*
AMS Bike Co-op + Bike Kitchen