[TheThinkTank] Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?!

Ainsley Naylor needleandthread at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 07:57:44 PDT 2019

Announcements were made that *food would be served to women, trans, and
gender non-binary folks first*, as is the rule for the group who were
providing the food during Bike!Bike! 2019. They had forgotten to announce
this on the first day of the conference. It would have been helpful if
guidelines like these (any specific guidelines related to the spaces we
were using in Tijuana) could have been communicated via email, the website,
or the B!B! handbook for attendees.

Anyone attending Bike!Bike! should have a fair understanding of
anti-oppression and ways that our community works to fight inequality.
"Treating everyone the same" is not a way to change our systems of
oppression. Creating greater access or exclusive access (like Women & Trans
hours at our bike projects) is one step that can be taken to be inclusive
and equitable.

There's lots of great writing available online and in your libraries if you
are rolling your eyes at offences such as being put at the back of the
lunch line while considering yourself to be an ally.

Ainsley (Toronto)