[TheThinkTank] Thethinktank Digest, Vol 157, Issue 11

Robert Rands cheerfulharmony at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 13:30:47 PDT 2019


 
I have to agree. Discrimination in response is counterproductive and bicycle coöperatives are not simply so some can counter their personal or more general traumas on others. The schisms that are appearing in the bike community are hurting biking and communities. There is an arrogance unbecoming that is driving many away and hurting people of long-standing in the community. This goes for in general society as well. It is a cult that is dangerous and in the end will not achieve its goals. This happened in my coöperative where someone came in and try to take control and work her personal agenda to change the culture that had been in place for over a decade. People can all have their opinions and want to educate people and make changes for the better. Yet, the present tactics and strategies will in the end backfire. Revolutions oft fail because they become what they fought against.


~Robert Rands

     On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 4:04:10 PM EDT, <thethinktank-request at lists.bikecollectives.org> wrote:  
 
 Send Thethinktank mailing list submissions to
    thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    http://lists.bikecollectives.org/listinfo.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org

or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    thethinktank-request at lists.bikecollectives.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
    thethinktank-owner at lists.bikecollectives.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Thethinktank digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. Re: Tire disposal (Sunny Nestler)
  2. Re:  Congrats M?xico City for getting B!B! 2020 (Sunny Nestler)
  3. Re: Bike Buddy Programs (Sunny Nestler)
  4. Re: Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?! (Gordon Hamachi)
  5. Re: Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?! (Ainsley Naylor)
  6. Re: Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?! (Jason Moore)
  7. Re: Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?! (Judith Feist)
  8. Re: Rad Videos About Your Shop: Who's Got Em? (Audrey Wiedemeier)
  9. Re: Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?! (Kathleen Marron)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 15:23:31 -0700
From: Sunny Nestler <programs at bikecoop.ca>
To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Tire disposal
Message-ID:
    <CAK_PEs4W963mY=6yXDjeaNWmZPNCAjREz6j5i4jM7_AO-PrdoA at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Just to add to what JF said re the Bike Kitchen in Vancouver - we combine
tire loads with 2 other community bike shops in town and drive them to a
tire processor in a Modo (car share) pickup truck. We don't pay to recycle
them anymore, they just take them for free and throw them into a pile of
what is mostly semi truck tires. We do have to weigh in/out. They get
chipped on site and used for asphalt production (and probably other things
I don't know about!)

There used to be a second recycler in town and we had tried for several
years to combine tire runs with other bike shops but that never quite got
off the ground for a number of reasons.

Thinking about it makes me tired!

*Sunny Nestler*, *Programs Manager*
AMS Bike Co-op + Bike Kitchen
University of British Columbia
604-822-2453 | thebikekitchen.ca  <http://thebikekitchen.ca>|
@BikeKitchenUBC


On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 11:27 AM Tigre Bici <bici.uanl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to recommend a book that starts with car tire disposal in san diego
> and ends with bicycles
> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25690420-the-coyote-s-bicycle
>
>
>
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 7:18 AM Eric Brozell <eric at bikeerie.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Think Tank Supporters,
>>
>> There are things that can be done with used tires. This image was of an
>> old rack that we updated and made a little bit more secure.
>>
>> To add to the recycling idea. We reuse inner tubes for tie wraps. The
>> wraps are used to tie matched parts together, tie parts onto a bike during
>> an extended repair process, and just an easy to use and reuse organizer
>> tool. I like these over the plastic tie wraps because I can untie them
>> without a tool to cut them off.
>>
>> Eric Brozell
>> Bike Erie and Pedal Mettle Erie
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Oct 12, 2019, at 2:33 AM, DancesWithCars <danceswithcars at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> They make good bungee cords for hauling things on touring racks...
>>
>> As shims, anti-twist, rub, etc for stuff on handlebars like camera,
>> light, etc mounts...
>>
>> I've seen a co-op wrap handlebars with them..
>>
>> Phoenix made bow ties out of some...
>>
>> Just sayin,
>> get creative...
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, 19:02 Jean-Fran?ois Caron <jfcaron3 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> At the AMS Bike Co-op in Vancouver for a while we had to personally
>>> deliver the tires to an industrial recycler in a really bike-unfriendly
>>> part of town.  We would borrow the student society's pickup truck to do a
>>> delivery a few times per year.  They charged by the ton.  IIRC we also
>>> co-operated with other community bike shops to aggregate all our tires for
>>> a single delivery.
>>>
>>> Whether they take bicycle tires is really up to the individual
>>> recyclers, you have to call and ask for specifics.  Unfortunately the
>>> volumes are usually so low a lot of companies won't think it's worth the
>>> hassle - even if you pay a fee.
>>>
>>> At smaller shops where I've volunteered the tires just end up in the
>>> trash.
>>>
>>> Jean-Fran?ois
>>> On 2019-10-11 12:22 p.m., Kristin Kinnamon wrote:
>>>
>>> Our local Les Schwab tire store takes them as part of their  recycling
>>> program.
>>>
>>> Kristin Kinnamon
>>>
>>> Sharing Wheels Community Bike Shop
>>>
>>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, 8:46 AM breathingplanet . <
>>> breathingplanet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>  what do you do with your no good tires (dry rot, worn out, etc) ?
>>>>
>>>> Survey says.......
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thx!
>>>> Andrew
>>>> Troy Bike Rescue
>>>> ____________________________________
>>>>
>>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>>
>>>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>> ____________________________________
>>>
>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>
>>> Unsubscribe from this list here: http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>
>>> ____________________________________
>>>
>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>
>>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>
>>> ____________________________________
>>
>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>
>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>
>>
>> ____________________________________
>>
>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>
>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>
>> ____________________________________
>
> The ThinkTank mailing List
>
> Unsubscribe from this list here:
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191015/f7e6ccf2/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_2284.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 374467 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191015/f7e6ccf2/attachment-0001.jpeg>

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 15:29:11 -0700
From: Sunny Nestler <programs at bikecoop.ca>
To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank]  Congrats M?xico City for getting B!B!
    2020
Message-ID:
    <CAK_PEs5R4mS67Rpmen6PrR93t7X8h0mCw-Q0M7h0y_Waw6CeaA at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

?

*Sunny Nestler*, *Programs Manager*
AMS Bike Co-op + Bike Kitchen
University of British Columbia
604-822-2453 | thebikekitchen.ca  <http://thebikekitchen.ca>|
@BikeKitchenUBC


On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 6:35 PM <wormsign at gmail.com> wrote:

> Congrats to Mexico City for being chosen to host Bike!Bike! 2020.
> Vamos a DF!
>
> Enzo Loconte
> ____________________________________
>
> The ThinkTank mailing List
>
> Unsubscribe from this list here:
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191015/edeafd42/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 15:33:19 -0700
From: Sunny Nestler <programs at bikecoop.ca>
To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Bike Buddy Programs
Message-ID:
    <CAK_PEs7oHyp6RWCuxvawjqf5f0jWxqPff98ciqzD1rhqaKWeKA at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

HUB Cycling runs some similar programs <https://bikehub.ca/bike-education>,
not sure if anyone from HUB is on this list but I'm sure you could contact
them!

*Sunny Nestler*, *Programs Manager*
AMS Bike Co-op + Bike Kitchen
University of British Columbia
604-822-2453 | thebikekitchen.ca  <http://thebikekitchen.ca>|
@BikeKitchenUBC


On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 3:34 PM Dennis Wollersheim <dewoller at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sounds like a great program, can you please share what you find out (e.g.
> the finished grant application maybe?)
>
> Thanks
> Dennis
>
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 6:21 AM Andrea Stevens <smithstevens at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> We would really appreciate any helpful information if you have run this
>> type of Program at your Community Bike Shop.
>>
>> Please see below...
>>
>> (Apologies if this is a duplicate email for you or not applicable :)
>>
>> Thanks Andrea
>>
>>
>>
>> *B!KE:  The Peterborough Community Cycling Hub* needs your help!
>>
>> We are an incorporated not-for-profit, member based cycling education and
>> support organization.  We've been working with the Peterborough, Ontario,
>> Canada community since 2006 teaching bike maintenance, repair and riding
>> skills. B!KE runs a supervised workshop space with the tools, parts and
>> expertise for bike repair by members.
>>
>> We are hoping to start a *Bike Buddy/Smart Cycling Commute Program* in
>> Peterborough and understand that your shop runs a such a Program, helping
>> new commuters navigate city traffic by bicycle.
>>
>> Would it be possible for you to share some information with our shop
>> regarding:
>>
>>
>>    - Cost annually to run the Program and Startup costs
>>    - Evidence -based benefits such as              : Fostering a more
>>    Active Lifestyle
>>
>>
>>            :  Encouraging a healthy and sustainable Environment
>>
>>
>>            :  Supporting the positive development of youth
>>
>>
>>            :  Any other unforeseen  benefits
>>
>>
>>
>> It would be greatly appreciated if you have an information you would like
>> to share. This will help us go forward with our Proposal.
>>
>> Thank you  for your time.
>>
>>
>>
>> Andrea Stevens
>> Secretary
>> Board of Directors
>> B!KE: Peterborough Community Cycling Hub
>>
>> communitybikeshop.org
>>
>>
>>
>> ____________________________________
>>
>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>
>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>
>>
>
> --
> --
> -------------------------------------------
> Dennis Wollersheim
> -------------------------------------------
> ____________________________________
>
> The ThinkTank mailing List
>
> Unsubscribe from this list here:
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191015/d03137aa/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 00:53:50 -0700
From: Gordon Hamachi <gordon.hamachi at gmail.com>
To: thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?!
Message-ID:
    <CADR8r8GVyU7eMC57FCffEcNXXn1-TLK1f=JM=E3gqjhUvpQG5g at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

It troubles me that anyone was kicked out of Bike! Bike!  I hope that we
can get an official explanation from the organizers, explaining their
reasoning, because the story as told reveals nothing that would warrant
banishment.

I myself have the dubious distinction of being kicked out of one Bike!
Bike! 2019 session with the reason given that it was for women only.
Evidently this was for cis women only, as nobody bothered to have a
conversation with me about my gender identity. I also feel that if women
want to improve the world they need to be willing to raise the
consciousness of all through education.

Since I am venting, a relatively minor third thing along these lines that
bothers me was when I was standing near the front of a newly-opened lunch
line, when some woman loudly declared that all of the men were to go to the
back. I get that gender discrimination is hurtful to those who may have
experienced It, but what sense does it make to impose the same hurt in
return, upon different people who are innocent of offense?  The men in line
obediently went to the back of the line, many with eye rolls, thinking that
these women were ill-mannered or unable to fairly queue up and take their
turn.

In the future, I would like everyone to treat everyone else with more
courtesy and respect, without regard for gender, race, or former
occupation.

?Gordon Hamachi
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191016/8050a5fa/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 10:57:44 -0400
From: Ainsley Naylor <needleandthread at gmail.com>
To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?!
Message-ID:
    <CAEkJx+nd9mg79F_6V5h9vcOq4Z41YqfMV7wWYNpYW2h4X+X_Zw at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Announcements were made that *food would be served to women, trans, and
gender non-binary folks first*, as is the rule for the group who were
providing the food during Bike!Bike! 2019. They had forgotten to announce
this on the first day of the conference. It would have been helpful if
guidelines like these (any specific guidelines related to the spaces we
were using in Tijuana) could have been communicated via email, the website,
or the B!B! handbook for attendees.

Anyone attending Bike!Bike! should have a fair understanding of
anti-oppression and ways that our community works to fight inequality.
"Treating everyone the same" is not a way to change our systems of
oppression. Creating greater access or exclusive access (like Women & Trans
hours at our bike projects) is one step that can be taken to be inclusive
and equitable.

There's lots of great writing available online and in your libraries if you
are rolling your eyes at offences such as being put at the back of the
lunch line while considering yourself to be an ally.

Ainsley (Toronto)

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:54 AM Gordon Hamachi <gordon.hamachi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It troubles me that anyone was kicked out of Bike! Bike!  I hope that we
> can get an official explanation from the organizers, explaining their
> reasoning, because the story as told reveals nothing that would warrant
> banishment.
>
> I myself have the dubious distinction of being kicked out of one Bike!
> Bike! 2019 session with the reason given that it was for women only.
> Evidently this was for cis women only, as nobody bothered to have a
> conversation with me about my gender identity. I also feel that if women
> want to improve the world they need to be willing to raise the
> consciousness of all through education.
>
> Since I am venting, a relatively minor third thing along these lines that
> bothers me was when I was standing near the front of a newly-opened lunch
> line, when some woman loudly declared that all of the men were to go to the
> back. I get that gender discrimination is hurtful to those who may have
> experienced It, but what sense does it make to impose the same hurt in
> return, upon different people who are innocent of offense?  The men in line
> obediently went to the back of the line, many with eye rolls, thinking that
> these women were ill-mannered or unable to fairly queue up and take their
> turn.
>
> In the future, I would like everyone to treat everyone else with more
> courtesy and respect, without regard for gender, race, or former
> occupation.
>
> ?Gordon Hamachi
>
> ____________________________________
>
> The ThinkTank mailing List
>
> Unsubscribe from this list here:
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191016/435b89af/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 09:12:50 -0700
From: Jason Moore <moorepants at gmail.com>
To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?!
Message-ID:
    <CAP7f1AjvxRQ5n3+jFTniy+E7RGtcGiLEQ2FrDKLd9-F7ds_Pqg at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

 > Anyone attending Bike!Bike! should have a fair understanding of
anti-oppression and ways that our community works to fight inequality.

But isn't this a poor assumption? I'm sure that many people have had or
have a less-than-fair understanding of anti-oppression but still want to
attend Bike!Bike! to hopefully improve that understanding (among other
things).

Jason

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:58 AM Ainsley Naylor <needleandthread at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Announcements were made that *food would be served to women, trans, and
> gender non-binary folks first*, as is the rule for the group who were
> providing the food during Bike!Bike! 2019. They had forgotten to announce
> this on the first day of the conference. It would have been helpful if
> guidelines like these (any specific guidelines related to the spaces we
> were using in Tijuana) could have been communicated via email, the website,
> or the B!B! handbook for attendees.
>
> Anyone attending Bike!Bike! should have a fair understanding of
> anti-oppression and ways that our community works to fight inequality.
> "Treating everyone the same" is not a way to change our systems of
> oppression. Creating greater access or exclusive access (like Women & Trans
> hours at our bike projects) is one step that can be taken to be inclusive
> and equitable.
>
> There's lots of great writing available online and in your libraries if
> you are rolling your eyes at offences such as being put at the back of the
> lunch line while considering yourself to be an ally.
>
> Ainsley (Toronto)
>
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:54 AM Gordon Hamachi <gordon.hamachi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It troubles me that anyone was kicked out of Bike! Bike!  I hope that we
>> can get an official explanation from the organizers, explaining their
>> reasoning, because the story as told reveals nothing that would warrant
>> banishment.
>>
>> I myself have the dubious distinction of being kicked out of one Bike!
>> Bike! 2019 session with the reason given that it was for women only.
>> Evidently this was for cis women only, as nobody bothered to have a
>> conversation with me about my gender identity. I also feel that if women
>> want to improve the world they need to be willing to raise the
>> consciousness of all through education.
>>
>> Since I am venting, a relatively minor third thing along these lines that
>> bothers me was when I was standing near the front of a newly-opened lunch
>> line, when some woman loudly declared that all of the men were to go to the
>> back. I get that gender discrimination is hurtful to those who may have
>> experienced It, but what sense does it make to impose the same hurt in
>> return, upon different people who are innocent of offense?  The men in line
>> obediently went to the back of the line, many with eye rolls, thinking that
>> these women were ill-mannered or unable to fairly queue up and take their
>> turn.
>>
>> In the future, I would like everyone to treat everyone else with more
>> courtesy and respect, without regard for gender, race, or former
>> occupation.
>>
>> ?Gordon Hamachi
>>
>> ____________________________________
>>
>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>
>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>
>> ____________________________________
>
> The ThinkTank mailing List
>
> Unsubscribe from this list here:
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191016/5111e0e9/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 13:38:37 -0400
From: Judith Feist <judith.feist at gmail.com>
To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?!
Message-ID: <93BB0819-25E8-40DB-968D-88210E1BD313 at gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

I don't know what happened with this specific individual to warrent them being asked to leave...but in response to the previous messages...

I must admit...what are your reasons for joining a / volunteering at a bicycle collective if it weren't to help underrepresented and/or oppressed individuals/groups? If your reasons are anything other than that maybe you are there for the wrong reasons...I don't think that is a poor assumption... (I also realize that people volunteer at collectives to learn mechanic skills for themselves so they can work on their own bikes...I don't think those people are attending B!B! and if they are I'd think someone from that collective would explain what this gathering is for/about)?..

I mean if you are attending bike!bike! but you're not looking to learn anything to bring back with you to share with your community there is some wrong- which means you're aware that the point of B!B! is to bring back knowledge to help  people within your community back home...

I hope that makes sense...

Pertaining to the "go to the end of the line" -To quote a volunteer whom I was explaining why we were going to be having a monthly night for TFW/lgbtq+ folks and it not being exclusive and I took a deep breathe after he asked "but I just don't understand why I can't be there since they are allowed to come here any time we're open"...oh calm down.

I agree with Ainsley on this matter,
--->"Treating everyone the same" is not a way to change our systems of oppression. 

Judith



Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 16, 2019, at 12:12 PM, Jason Moore <moorepants at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>  > Anyone attending Bike!Bike! should have a fair understanding of anti-oppression and ways that our community works to fight inequality.
> 
> But isn't this a poor assumption? I'm sure that many people have had or have a less-than-fair understanding of anti-oppression but still want to attend Bike!Bike! to hopefully improve that understanding (among other things).
> 
> Jason
> 
>> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:58 AM Ainsley Naylor <needleandthread at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Announcements were made that food would be served to women, trans, and gender non-binary folks first, as is the rule for the group who were providing the food during Bike!Bike! 2019. They had forgotten to announce this on the first day of the conference. It would have been helpful if guidelines like these (any specific guidelines related to the spaces we were using in Tijuana) could have been communicated via email, the website, or the B!B! handbook for attendees.
>> 
>> Anyone attending Bike!Bike! should have a fair understanding of anti-oppression and ways that our community works to fight inequality. "Treating everyone the same" is not a way to change our systems of oppression. Creating greater access or exclusive access (like Women & Trans hours at our bike projects) is one step that can be taken to be inclusive and equitable.
>> 
>> There's lots of great writing available online and in your libraries if you are rolling your eyes at offences such as being put at the back of the lunch line while considering yourself to be an ally.
>> 
>> Ainsley (Toronto)
>> 
>>> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:54 AM Gordon Hamachi <gordon.hamachi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It troubles me that anyone was kicked out of Bike! Bike!  I hope that we can get an official explanation from the organizers, explaining their reasoning, because the story as told reveals nothing that would warrant banishment. 
>>> 
>>> I myself have the dubious distinction of being kicked out of one Bike! Bike! 2019 session with the reason given that it was for women only. Evidently this was for cis women only, as nobody bothered to have a conversation with me about my gender identity. I also feel that if women want to improve the world they need to be willing to raise the consciousness of all through education. 
>>> 
>>> Since I am venting, a relatively minor third thing along these lines that bothers me was when I was standing near the front of a newly-opened lunch line, when some woman loudly declared that all of the men were to go to the back. I get that gender discrimination is hurtful to those who may have experienced It, but what sense does it make to impose the same hurt in return, upon different people who are innocent of offense?  The men in line obediently went to the back of the line, many with eye rolls, thinking that these women were ill-mannered or unable to fairly queue up and take their turn. 
>>> 
>>> In the future, I would like everyone to treat everyone else with more courtesy and respect, without regard for gender, race, or former occupation. 
>>> 
>>> ?Gordon Hamachi
>>> 
>>> ____________________________________
>>> 
>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>> 
>>> Unsubscribe from this list here: http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>> 
>> ____________________________________
>> 
>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>> 
>> Unsubscribe from this list here: http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>> 
> ____________________________________
> 
> The ThinkTank mailing List
> 
> Unsubscribe from this list here: http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
> 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191016/277562ea/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 13:18:35 -0500
From: Audrey Wiedemeier <audrey at bikelibrary.org>
To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Rad Videos About Your Shop: Who's Got Em?
Message-ID:
    <CAHZ5hLg8Usrge2X6gQzoavyOwpcEA25BvQCz6wKzxsVNcvVR+A at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

We did a series this year with one of our stellar patrons:

Meet Hai <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33XUlu-Yz_A>

The Five Quick Releases with Hai
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKzDnQXPReo>

Bike care and repair stand with Hai
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry_wWBAIqtc>


Peace & grease,

*Audrey Wiedemeier* (She/her/hers)
Iowa City Bike Library, Director

700 S. Dubuque St, Iowa City
*Hours: *Sat. 10-3, Mon. 5-7, Tues. 6-8,
Wed. 6-8, Thurs. 6-8, Fri. 4:30-6:30

BikeLibrary.org
C: (515) 450-1651


On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 7:31 AM Luis Fernandez <luis at casildo.com> wrote:

> Here's a promo for the somerville bike kitchen.
>
> https://vimeo.com/282321449
>
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 7:30 AM Cicloficina dos Anjos <
> anjos at cicloficina.pt> wrote:
>
>> We have two videos, one about our WTF session,
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28KnyIpvZLA
>>  ant the other about the Cicloficina dos Anjos
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5lprXFxYdI
>>  (Lisbon, PT)
>>
>>
>>
>> *Cicloficina dos Anjos*
>> Rua Dr. Almeida Amaral 15A, Lisboa
>> anjos at cicloficina.pt
>> www.cicloficina.pt
>> fb.com/cicloficina.anjos <http://facebook.com/cicloficina.anjos>
>> instagram.com/cicloficina.anjos
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 1:16 PM Jim Sheehan <jim at ohiocitycycles.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApllSMylezGNGMRaGSBLoQ/videos
>>> Jim Sheehan
>>> Executive Director
>>> Ohio City Bicycle Co-op
>>> 1840 Columbus Rd
>>> Cleveland, Ohio 44113
>>> 216 830 2667
>>> OhioCityCycles.org
>>> jim at ohiocitycycles.org
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:55 PM Brad Wentworth <bwentworth at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi Josh & Think Tank,
>>>>
>>>> Here's one about bikeSauce with a section on cycling in Toronto in the
>>>> middle: https://vimeo.com/69838637 Marianne Pavlyak and her crew get
>>>> full credit, we just got interviewed. It's old but most of what's in there
>>>> is still relevant.
>>>>
>>>> Cheerio,
>>>> Brad - volunteer at bikeSauce in Toronto
>>>> He/him
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019, 15:44 peter at BikeClarkCounty.org <
>>>> peter at bikeclarkcounty.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Bike Clark County?.here in Vancouver, WA USA
>>>>>
>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWNH_fNdOwA&t=2s
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers!
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Peter Van Tilburg
>>>>> Executive Director, Board VP
>>>>> Bike Clark County
>>>>>
>>>>> Community Bike Shop:
>>>>> 1604 Main St., Vancouver, WA. 98660
>>>>> Wed-Sat 11am-6pm, Sunday 11am-4pm
>>>>>
>>>>> c. 503.572.9894
>>>>> peter at bikeclarkcounty.org
>>>>> *http://www.linkedin.com/in/petervantilburg
>>>>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/petervantilburg>*
>>>>> http://www.bikeclarkcounty.org/
>>>>> www.bikeclarkcounty.org
>>>>> *Bike Clark County is equipping, empowering, and connecting youth to
>>>>> our community.*
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sep 13, 2019, at 2:37 PM, Dennis Wollersheim <dewoller at gmail.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Bicyclist Lovers
>>>>>
>>>>> Here is the video from the Melbourne Australia Bike Shed, One Happy
>>>>> Sunday (previously posted on the list).
>>>>>
>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHHylz0H1K4
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 4:00 AM Sam Haraldson <
>>>>> sam at bozemanbikekitchen.org> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> The subject says it all, folks: who's got a rad video about your shop
>>>>>>> or a program that you do?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> We have two videos, one from seven years ago and one from three years
>>>>>> ago.  Here's the three year old one that describes our programs:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6J6nMNQdtc
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> [image: photo]
>>>>>> *Sam Haraldson*
>>>>>> President, Board of Directors
>>>>>> Bozeman Bike Kitchen
>>>>>> 2104 Industrial Drive, Bozeman, MT 59715
>>>>>> bozemanbikekitchen.org
>>>>>> <https://www.facebook.com/bozemanbikekitchen/>
>>>>>> <https://instagram.com/bznbikekitchen/>
>>>>>> <https://twitter.com/bznbikekitchen/>
>>>>>> ____________________________________
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>>>>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> --
>>>>> -------------------------------------------
>>>>> Dennis Wollersheim
>>>>> -------------------------------------------
>>>>> ____________________________________
>>>>>
>>>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>>>
>>>>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>>>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> ____________________________________
>>>>>
>>>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>>>
>>>>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>>>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>>>
>>>>> ____________________________________
>>>>
>>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>>
>>>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>>
>>>> ____________________________________
>>>
>>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>>
>>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>
>>> ____________________________________
>>
>> The ThinkTank mailing List
>>
>> Unsubscribe from this list here:
>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>
>> ____________________________________
>
> The ThinkTank mailing List
>
> Unsubscribe from this list here:
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191016/d2eeb200/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 18:55:55 +0000
From: Kathleen Marron <KMarron at csusb.edu>
To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?!
Message-ID:
    <MWHPR08MB2703AF781940926678DA04D7B2920 at MWHPR08MB2703.namprd08.prod.outlook.com>
    
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Are you KIDDING me??? I did not attend and now I?m so glad I didn?t, because upon reading this email, I can undoubtedly see that a prime example of oppression and inequality was clearly exercised at the Bike!Bike! 2019! Persecution, maltreatment, racism, oppression, and inequality based on a person?s gender, race, or sexual orientation, is exactly what I see here. You ?punished? someone based on their perceived gender. Being inclusive and equitable means what is done for one, is done for all. This is clearly not what was practiced at the event. Claiming to be anti-oppressive and saying one is fighting inequality, doesn?t make it so. It?s in the actions, not the words.

Kathleen (California)

From: Thethinktank <thethinktank-bounces at lists.bikecollectives.org> On Behalf Of Ainsley Naylor
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:58 AM
To: The Think Tank <thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org>
Subject: Re: [TheThinkTank] Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?!

Announcements were made that food would be served to women, trans, and gender non-binary folks first, as is the rule for the group who were providing the food during Bike!Bike! 2019. They had forgotten to announce this on the first day of the conference. It would have been helpful if guidelines like these (any specific guidelines related to the spaces we were using in Tijuana) could have been communicated via email, the website, or the B!B! handbook for attendees.

Anyone attending Bike!Bike! should have a fair understanding of anti-oppression and ways that our community works to fight inequality. "Treating everyone the same" is not a way to change our systems of oppression. Creating greater access or exclusive access (like Women & Trans hours at our bike projects) is one step that can be taken to be inclusive and equitable.

There's lots of great writing available online and in your libraries if you are rolling your eyes at offences such as being put at the back of the lunch line while considering yourself to be an ally.

Ainsley (Toronto)

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:54 AM Gordon Hamachi <gordon.hamachi at gmail.com<mailto:gordon.hamachi at gmail.com>> wrote:
It troubles me that anyone was kicked out of Bike! Bike!  I hope that we can get an official explanation from the organizers, explaining their reasoning, because the story as told reveals nothing that would warrant banishment.

I myself have the dubious distinction of being kicked out of one Bike! Bike! 2019 session with the reason given that it was for women only. Evidently this was for cis women only, as nobody bothered to have a conversation with me about my gender identity. I also feel that if women want to improve the world they need to be willing to raise the consciousness of all through education.

Since I am venting, a relatively minor third thing along these lines that bothers me was when I was standing near the front of a newly-opened lunch line, when some woman loudly declared that all of the men were to go to the back. I get that gender discrimination is hurtful to those who may have experienced It, but what sense does it make to impose the same hurt in return, upon different people who are innocent of offense?  The men in line obediently went to the back of the line, many with eye rolls, thinking that these women were ill-mannered or unable to fairly queue up and take their turn.

In the future, I would like everyone to treat everyone else with more courtesy and respect, without regard for gender, race, or former occupation.

?Gordon Hamachi

____________________________________

The ThinkTank mailing List

Unsubscribe from this list here: http://lists.bikecollectives.org/options.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.bikecollectives.org_options.cgi_thethinktank-2Dbikecollectives.org&d=DwMFaQ&c=B_W-eXUX249zycySS1AyzjABMeYirU1wvo9-GmMObjY&r=UbMgyupc9RomOJXJGGLrvaiGXQRf86SK7cSV3Civtvk&m=7n9Fen9hoy6IuRkA8lHt43fqoG9YeuzzXMizwrwO73k&s=BBplrbVRUWrpWMhyVVK8ulCsQIc_ITnNDircRiFuh5I&e=>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191016/35d0224e/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
Thethinktank mailing list
Thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org
http://lists.bikecollectives.org/listinfo.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org


------------------------------

End of Thethinktank Digest, Vol 157, Issue 11
*********************************************
  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20191016/8acbb977/attachment.html>


More information about the Thethinktank mailing list