[TheThinkTank] Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?!

Arlin Schaffel arlin at bridgecitybicyclecoop.com
Wed Oct 16 14:33:48 PDT 2019

Gordon: I'm sorry to hear you were kicked out of a talk. Did it happen to
be this one below, or was it a different talk? (taken from program, which I
have also attached)

CYCLING WITH OVERIOS: MESA DE DIáLOGO / ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION (SPANGLISH)
12.10.19 / 16:30 - 18:30 / ENCLAVE CARACOL
Welcome to our discussion. connect with badasses with ovaries who have
traveled the world on two wheels, both alone and in groups. learn tips,
tricks, tactics, and share experiences.

Regarding your issue with the queue:

 "The men in line obediently went to the back of the line, many with eye
> rolls, thinking that these women were ill-mannered or unable to fairly
> queue up and take their turn. "

I understand you are frustrated, but I was also in line, with several other
men. I was quite happy to leave the line, did not see any eye rolls, and
personally thought the women making the announcement were badass.

Re: Eric being kicked out, I'm also interested in knowing more for the sake
of transparency. I had heard a rumor about it but nothing else.

As Evan pointed out earlier, there is a Safer Space Agreement on the
website, which I have copy / pasted below, just for future reference and
ease for those reading email: https://en.bikebike.org/policy/

*The Agreement*

>    - We enter with a commitment to mutual respect, mutual aid,
>    anti-oppression advocacy, conflict resolution, anti-violence, and community
>    building.
>    - We respect everyone's names, gender pronouns, expressed identities
>    and experiences.
>    - We support the empowerment of each person and group.
>    - We commit to making spaces as accessible as possible; physically,
>    socially, and personally.
>    - We are peaceful and honest.
>    - We respect each others bodies and spaces.
>    - We commit to hearing each other and creating opportunities for all
>    voices to be heard.
>    - We accept a shared responsibility to hold ourselves and one another
>    accountable for these agreements’ intent.
>    - We encourage open minds and open hearts.
>    - We promote inclusive learning spaces and questions in the spirit of
>    personal growth.
>

> *Why have a Safer Space Agreement?*
> In order to set a common ground, we state our shared beliefs and desires
> for the space which is Bike!Bike!. We rally around these ideas for
> inspiration and to ensure that if there is behaviour which does not make us
> feel safe, we have something to point to. By agreeing to a commitment of
> mutual respect, we hope that if conflict does arise, we will remember what
> we have agreed to, and act accordingly.
>

> *How is it enforced?*
> The host city has the responsibility of mediating safer space issues. They
> will decide what constitutes a warning and what constitutes expulsion from
> the conference.

*Arlin Schaffel*
*Bridge City Bicycle Co-op*
http://bridgecitybicyclecoop.com