[TheThinkTank] Kicked out of Bike!Bike!?!

Bike Church Santa Cruz thebikechurch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 10:25:59 PDT 2019

Muchas gracias R. y Tigre Bici para compartir su perspectiva. We also did
not make it this year, but the conversations here are a bit disturbing to
me. However, it is not uncommon that righteously indignant men and their
allies are the loudest voices in the room (or mailing list). I hope/assume
it's not representative of the whole.
Nos vemos a DF por la próxima.
Nik

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 10:09 AM Tigre Bici <bici.uanl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hola a todas!
> Esto es bastante interesante para nosotras que no pudimos ir a B!B!
> y a la vez no
> Este correo esta muy lejos de ser algo propositivo y que sume a las
> organizaciones, ni siquiera invita a compartir el conocimiento o previas
> experiencias para mejorar.
> Ambos problemas, a nuestro parecer, debieron de tratarse y resolverse en
> el evento y no esperar unos dias después, por via correo.
> Nos llama mucho la atención el tono en que nos hacen responsables del
> mundo de mierda en el que vivimos:
> " also feel that if women want to improve the world they need to be
> willing to raise the consciousness of all through education. "
> Y no, Gordon, las mujeres no tenemos ni es nuestra obligacionista de
> educar personas, esa es tu obligación.
> también nos llama mucho la atención que se enfatice "los modos" en que se
> les pidio a los hombres irse hacia atras
> En México violentan 7 mujeres por minuto no hablemos de las identidades
> cuir, trans y no binarias porque la violencia es aun peor ; el discurso
> facho y sin sustento de los hombres es que cuando salimos a marchar, cuando
> reclamamos y cuando nos defendemos lo hagamos "con buenos modos" y no
> hagamos destrozos porque no es "la manera"¿Realmente entiendes las
> discriminaciones de genero que vivimos? lo dudamos
>
> Quiza en los próximos eventos las personas que no esten de acuerdo con
> como se hacen las cosas, por ejemplo el orden de servir la comida puedan
> acercarse con alguien a despejar sus dudas y sus inconformidades en lugar
> de mandar correos cargados de reclamos a una lista masiva de correos
>
> R.
>

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 4:34 PM Arlin Schaffel <
> arlin at bridgecitybicyclecoop.com> wrote:
>
>> Gordon: I'm sorry to hear you were kicked out of a talk. Did it happen to
>> be this one below, or was it a different talk? (taken from program, which I
>> have also attached)
>>
>> CYCLING WITH OVERIOS: MESA DE DIáLOGO / ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION (SPANGLISH)
>> 12.10.19 / 16:30 - 18:30 / ENCLAVE CARACOL
>> Welcome to our discussion. connect with badasses with ovaries who have
>> traveled the world on two wheels, both alone and in groups. learn tips,
>> tricks, tactics, and share experiences.
>>
>> Regarding your issue with the queue:
>>
>>  "The men in line obediently went to the back of the line, many with eye
>>> rolls, thinking that these women were ill-mannered or unable to fairly
>>> queue up and take their turn. "
>>

>> I understand you are frustrated, but I was also in line, with several
>> other men. I was quite happy to leave the line, did not see any eye rolls,
>> and personally thought the women making the announcement were badass.
>>
>> Re: Eric being kicked out, I'm also interested in knowing more for the
>> sake of transparency. I had heard a rumor about it but nothing else.
>>
>> As Evan pointed out earlier, there is a Safer Space Agreement on the
> [...]

Come check us out:
Monday 1-7
Tuesday 1-7
Wednesday 1-7
Thursday 1-7
Friday 1-7
Saturday 1-7
Womyn, Trans, and Femme Workshop. 1st and 3rd Sunday 12-3

The Bike Church
703 Pacific Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
831/425-BIKE