[TheThinkTank] Bike Saviours in Tempe is Hiring a Lead Mechanic!

Nicole Muratore nicole at bikesaviours.org
Mon Oct 21 13:48:42 PDT 2019

*Job Description: Lead Mechanic (Full- **Time)*

Summary

Bike Saviours Bicycle Collective (BSBC) is a volunteer-run 501(c)3
nonprofit education center devoted to teaching people about bicycle
maintenance, building, and repair. We operate as a tool share that is open
to the public. We provide affordable, repurposed bikes and parts through a
collection of donated and recycled parts from the community.

Bike Saviours Bicycle Collective seeks a Lead Mechanic to work with the
Shop Manager to manage the shop floor during open hours and lead, mentor,
and educate our team of volunteers in support of the BSBC mission.
Essential Job Responsibilities

*Leadership and Mechanic Education 40%*

- Educate and assist shop patrons with bicycle repairs

- Create opportunities for staff and volunteers to grow their mechanic
skills

- Establish and maintain standards to ensure safe, quality, and timely work
in the shop

- Manage all shop operations when Shop Manager is not available

*Shop User & Volunteer Experience 40%*

- Maintain a positive, educational, and empowering shop experience for all

- Assist Shop Manager with volunteer on-boarding

- Offer coaching and support to staff and volunteers working with our
patrons

- Deliver professional, accessible, and equitable customer service to a
diverse patron base

*Resource and Inventory Management 20%*

- Work with Shop Manager to manage inventory, organization, and cleanliness
of the shop

- Support Shop Manager in placing inventory orders, assessing shop needs
for product offerings, and process inventory upon delivery

- Maintain work areas by regularly servicing tools to ensure safe function

- Maintain systems to ensure quality affordable bike parts are available to
patrons and new inventory compliments gaps in patrons/mechanic needs

- Assist in processing and pricing donations received by the shop based on
their relative quality and the shop’s needs

- Manage the reconditioning of used bicycles for resale
Job Skills and Requirements

- A passion for bikes

- Respect for and commitment to BSBC’s mission

- You enjoy working with people from all walks of life, backgrounds, and
ability levels

- Self-starter who works well with a team

- 2 to 4 years of bicycle repair experience on a wide variety of bikes

- Experience working in or with nonprofits and/or community projects

- You’ve used the phrase “Steel is real,” know the N+! principle, and the
simplicity of friction shifters makes you warm and fuzzy. Those wonders of
the past haven’t road blocked your brain from enjoying new technology.

- A strong regard for our Safe Space Policy and ability to address
individuals in violation

- A demonstrated commitment to sustainable communities and transportation
Compensation and Benefits

This is a full-time, non-exempt, hourly position. Pay is $14/hour plus 40
hours personal paid time off (after six months) and *either* paid time off
or time-and-a-half pay for all federally observed holidays. Our shop is a
casual, family-friendly, dog-friendly community-oriented space with a fun
and energetic culture.

40 scheduled hours per week: Sunday/Monday 10:30 am – 6:30 pm and
Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 1:30 pm – 9:30 pm. Leaders at BSBC can expect to
work 1-2 Saturdays each month depending on the shop schedule.
How to Apply

Please email a resume and cover letter to Jim Tolar at jim at bikesaviours.org
with “Lead Mechanic Position” as the subject heading.

Bike Saviours Bicycle Collective is an equal opportunity employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability
status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
law.

Cheers,
Nicole Muratore, Shop Manager
Bike Saviours Bicycle Collective