[TheThinkTank] Robert's Rules of Order

Jean-François Caron jfcaron3 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 12:55:44 PDT 2019

The AMS Bike Co-op at UBC, while I was there, officially ran meetings by
consensus but with Robert's Rules as fallback.  The chair of each
committee was free to choose whatever structure.  We never actually
ended up using formal Robert's Rules for any meeting I attended.

The Graduate Student Society at UBC did actually formally use Robert's
Rules for their meetings and as Jeff wrote, it was impressive &
effective when running properly.

In my mind it's a question of scope and conflict.  For small groups and
groups which are generally in agreement already, Robert's Rules are not
needed and people get lazy about following them.  For large groups or
groups that have necessarily opposing factions (e.g. government), it's a
decent system.

Jean-François