[TheThinkTank] Dividing Paid vs Volunteer Labor

Josh Bisker jbisker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 09:41:51 PDT 2019

Hi pals,

The Mechanical Gardens has been essentially an all-volunteer effort so far,
but we're exploring adding some paid positions to reach real organizational
sustainability. Things like fundraising, fostering organizational
partnerships, and even just coordinating operations and volunteers are
challenging to do with no paid staff time.

It's obviously tricky to make this shift though. One thing we need to do is
comfortably distinguish: (a) the types of work for which people are paid,
versus (b) the types of work for which people volunteer. *So: in your
organization, what are some of the ways you divide these things up?* A
related question might be: *What are your titles and job descriptions for
your paid positions? *

I know this topic opens a whole can of worms, but maybe we can get into it
a couple of questions at a time...

Josh Bisker
914-500-9890
New York Mechanical Gardens Bike Co-op <http://bikecoop.nyc/>