[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops, essential services thought

Deb Salls deb at bikeworks.org
Thu Apr 2 16:11:23 PDT 2020

Caryn

I can talk to you more about this if you would like. We are working on this
too.  We have a pretty extensive Safety Precautions document and we are
open for appointment-only bike repair with our Bike Shop.

In short, we do do these steps below for safety in the Bike Shop (with some
other steps for other areas of our org)   We closed everything to the
public in early March in an 'abundance of caution' to figure out what is
going on with the COVID situation and last week 're-opened' with
appointment only services, an ecommerce store and we have been doing a
bunch of posting of special parts, frames, and bikes on eBay.  Also we are
still doing bike giveaways to low-income individuals by appointment-only or
through community partners that are providing essential services.  (FYI
Seattle as of March 25 is in a "Stay-at-Home" mandate and a limited list of
things have been deemed 'essential services)

*BIKE SHOP SAFETY PRACTICES*

Bike Works Bike Shop is CLOSED to the public- No entry into our facilities
is allowed by members of the public

Repair service(s) are offered by appointment only. Customers can email or
phone to schedule their appointment and discuss the services they think are
in need. Payment will be taken over the phone when work is completed or
through our website.  We are giving 50% discounts on repairs ( parts and
labor) for grocery store workers, medical staff and social services
professionals providing other essential services.

We will follow these steps for safety precautions:

1.) Customers will drop their bicycles at the porch and lock up using the
provided combination word lock. Locks will be sanitized each time a staff
person uses it. Word locks will have their combination changed at the start
of each day with a record kept of each word used and on which day.

2.) Mechanics will disinfect the bikes before bringing them into the shop,
assess the best service for the bicycle and call the customer to confirm
service needed

3.) Once repairs are completed the bikes will be disinfected again,
customers will be called to arrange pick up and we will return to the porch
and lock up with combo lock. *Point person for this process: Lead Mechanic

4.) Mechanics will use gloves at all times while working on bicycles

5.) Physical Distancing *must *be used in the workplace of at least 6 feet
at all times. One mechanic will work using the stands on the sales floor
while a second will occupy the upper level Sun Room. Mechanics can access
the shop through separate doorways to mitigate exposure (porch entrance and
side door to Blue Room).

6.) Shared spaces such as the bathroom and office will be cleaned with each
use. The office computer will be used *only* for business-related needs.
Personal use while on break, etc. will be prohibited. Please refrain from
using the kitchenette to prepare food.

7.) Clean AND disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as
workstations, keyboards, telephones, handrails, phones and doorknobs. Dirty
surfaces should be cleaned with soap and water prior to disinfection.

8.) Avoid using other employees’ phones, desks, offices, or other work
tools and equipment, when possible. If necessary, clean and disinfect them
before and after use.

Here is an article from the Seattle Bike Blog about this
https://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2020/03/30/bike-works-reopens-shop-by-appointment-only-offers-medical-and-grocery-workers-50-off-repairs/

I hope this helps. Also, I should say- our Safety Precaution document is a
working document and will change as the CDC or state or local public health
or government officials recommend more / different things... like masks--
or whatever might come next and will also continue to incorporate any
changes that staff think we should make to our practices to make them  more
safe.

Thanks

Deb

<http://www.bikeworks.org/>
Deb Salls
*Executive Director*
she/her pronouns what's this?
<https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/>
206.695.2607
<https://www.facebook.com/BikeWorksSeattle>
<https://twitter.com/bikeworks206>
<https://www.instagram.com/bikeworks206/>   bikeworks.org

*Bike Works promotes the bicycleas a vehicle for change to empoweryouth and
build resilient communities.*
*Bike Shop: *3709 S Ferdinand St, Seattle, WA 98118
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/3709+S+Ferdinand+St,+Seattle,+WA+98118/@47.5576203,-122.2879379,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x54906a0c217011bf:0x636bcae5fac16123!8m2!3d47.5576203!4d-122.2857492>
*Office, Warehouse & Classrooms: *3715 S Hudson St #111, Seattle, WA 98118
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/3715+S+Hudson+St,+Seattle,+WA+98118/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x54906a0ea2b3bb1d:0xc31eaefbc937e82d?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRv7KImaHiAhVM-lQKHWhJC4UQ8gEwAHoECAoQAQ>