[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops, essential services thought

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Thu Apr 2 21:09:53 PDT 2020

Deb, your procedure game is strong! Impressive.

I already responded re: our procedures above, but since Carlyn is asking
again, to paraphrase, we're:

-not allowing any open shop activities, i.e. no participant activities
at all
-one customer inside the shop at a time (people who come together, like
parents buying bikes for their children, count as a single customer)
-prohibiting individuals who are ill in any way from being in the space
-maximum two workers in the shop at a time
-decontaminating bikes before and after working on them
-washing hands as soon as we arrive at the shop and before we touch
anything except the door controls and the light switches (which we
sanitize later)
-washing again any time that we touch our clothing, bodies, phones, or
anything outside the shop

The one thing we seem to be doing differently than some is *not*
cleaning the tools and surfaces in the shop any more than average.
People are simply not allowed to touch anything unless they've washed
beforehand, are expected not to touch their face, body, clothing, or
personal effects during work with their hands, and are reminded that
since the shop may harbor any kind of pathogens, to wash again before
leaving. A.B.W. seems like the way of the moment.

~cyclista Nicholas

On 2020-04-03 00:23, Jesse Cooper wrote:
> [...]
>> Dirty
>> surfaces should be cleaned with soap and water prior to disinfection.
>>
>> 8.) Avoid using other employees’ phones, desks, offices, or other work
>> tools and equipment, when possible. If necessary, clean and disinfect
>> them
>> before and after use.
>>

>> Here is an article from the Seattle Bike Blog about this
>> https://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2020/03/30/bike-works-reopens-shop-by-appointment-only-offers-medical-and-grocery-workers-50-off-repairs/
>>

>> I hope this helps. Also, I should say- our Safety Precaution document
>> is a
>> working document and will change as the CDC or state or local public
>> health
>> or government officials recommend more / different things... like
>> masks--
>> or whatever might come next and will also continue to incorporate any
>> changes that staff think we should make to our practices to make them
>> more
>> safe.
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Deb
>>
>> <http://www.bikeworks.org/>
>> Deb Salls
>> *Executive Director*
>> she/her pronouns what's this?
>> <https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/>
>> 206.695.2607
>> <https://www.facebook.com/BikeWorksSeattle>
>> <https://twitter.com/bikeworks206>
>> <https://www.instagram.com/bikeworks206/>   bikeworks.org
>>

>> *Bike Works promotes the bicycleas a vehicle for change to
>> empoweryouth
>> and build resilient communities.*
>> *Bike Shop: *3709 S Ferdinand St, Seattle, WA 98118
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/place/3709+S+Ferdinand+St,+Seattle,+WA+98118/@47.5576203,-122.2879379,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x54906a0c217011bf:0x636bcae5fac16123!8m2!3d47.5576203!4d-122.2857492>
>> *Office, Warehouse & Classrooms: *3715 S Hudson St #111, Seattle, WA
>> 98118
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/place/3715+S+Hudson+St,+Seattle,+WA+98118/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x54906a0ea2b3bb1d:0xc31eaefbc937e82d?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRv7KImaHiAhVM-lQKHWhJC4UQ8gEwAHoECAoQAQ>
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 3:48 PM BICAS <bicas at bicas.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks everybody. I know many of us have had to make a new decision
>>> every
>>> two days with the changing world around us so quickly.
>>>
>>> BICAS has 14 hourly wage staff, all of whom can still be paid by
>>> coming
>>> in to refurbish bikes at the shop that will eventually be for sale
>>> after
>>> all this is over, as long as they work far away from each other and
>>> clean
>>> and disinfect everything after. Our Community Tools, classes, and
>>> retails
>>> spaces have been shut down since mid-March, which is a heavy
>>> burden. We are applying for local emergency grants and probably also