[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops, essential services thought

Jesse Cooper jessecooper0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:23:42 PDT 2020

Our Community Bikes is opened for limited hours with only the service
department operating through appointments only.
We will be expanding our service hours next week.  We have a very large
base of low income and front line working riders, so we would like to meet
their needs, while monitoring our potential to be a vector.

We have distancing protocols, and disinfecting protocols now in place.
These were pieced together with the help of both our federal health
guidelines, WHO and CDC, and as they work for the Red Cross, have also have
some of these protocols. Most of the recommendations are similar anyhow.

Cleaning protocols

Refer to CDC interim recommendations here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/cleaning-disinfection.html

OCB General Enhanced Protocol

   -

   Staff and volunteers who are not feeling well are asked to stay home
   -

   Door signage reminding clients and visitors who are not feeling well or
   who suspect they have been exposed to COVID-19 to stay home and not come
   inside
   -

   The door to the shop should be locked and clients are asked to knock as
   we won’t be answering the phone to capacity
   -

   Appointments are necessary, as we will minimize the number of people
   coming through the shop who are not able to receive service.
   -

   Staff must maintain the recommended 2m distance for social distancing at
   all times.

There will be a taped line on the floor to help observe this at the front
counter. Enter the required amount on the electronic transaction machine
and step away from the counter to allow the customer to approach.

   -

   Wipe down common services between each client (e.g. debit machine
   pinpad, register keys, keyboard, mouse, pens, counter, doorknob).
   -

   An alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%-95% alcohol content
   should be available for all clients upon entering the shop.
   -

   When possible, we will equip staff with personal protective equipment
   like gloves and masks.

To consider

   -

   If we have any forms or paperwork that normally require sign-off, we
   should look at whether we can adapt that process (e.g. verbal confirmation
   rather than requiring a signature)
   -

   Staff will do an assessment of areas of risk within the shop and follow
   procedures to minimize the risk. Some areas of detail like dirty rags,
   disinfecting the disinfecting spray bottle, phones, doorknobs, toilet
   plunger, keypads, keyboards, keyboard mice, electronics buttons, tool cases
   and tools, drawer knobs, cash register keys and trays, keys, bin handles,
   etc

Where necessary, additional measures will be put in place in accordance
with recommendations of public health officials.

Cleaning surfaces:

   -

   Wear disposable gloves and fist spray down with soapy water
   -

   Wipe clear with a clean disposable towel and spray with disinfectant
   -

      (70% plus IsoPropyl Alcohol  or diluted bleach solution of 4
      teaspoons per quart of water)
      -

      WARNING : Do NOT MIX IsoPropyl with bleach! This will create
      chloroform and hydrochloric acid, as well as chloroacetone or
      dichloroacetone. These compounds can cause damage to the nervous system,
      lungs, kidneys, liver, eyes, and skin.)
      -

   Let sit and wipe
   -

   Dispose of used towel / rag in garbage as well as the gloves
   -

   Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds

Cleaning tools and tool cases:

   -

   Wear disposable gloves and fist spray down with soapy water
   -

   Wipe clear with a clean disposable towel and spray with disinfectant
   -

      (70% plus IsoPropyl Alcohol  or diluted bleach solution of 4
      teaspoons per quart of water)
      -

      WARNING : Do NOT MIX IsoPropyl with bleach! This will create
      chloroform and hydrochloric acid, as well as chloroacetone or
      dichloroacetone. These compounds can cause damage to the nervous system,
      lungs, kidneys, liver, eyes, and skin.)
      -

   Let sit and wipe
   -

   Dispose of used towel / rag in garbage as well as the gloves
   -

   Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds

Cleaning bikes on drop off:

   -

   Receive bike and use a wheel prop to stand bike in place
   -

[...]

   Continue with intake

Cleaning bikes at pick up:

   -

   After work is completed use a wheel prop to stand bike in place
   -

[...]

   After payment is processed direct client to maneuver the bike out of the
   building

Cleaning parts for individual sale

   -

   Wipe clear with a clean disposable towel and spray with disinfectant
   -

      (70% plus IsoPropyl Alcohol  or diluted bleach solution of 4
      teaspoons per quart of water)
      -

      WARNING : Do NOT MIX IsoPropyl with bleach! This will create
      chloroform and hydrochloric acid, as well as chloroacetone or
      dichloroacetone. These compounds can cause damage to the nervous system,
      lungs, kidneys, liver, eyes, and skin.)
      -

   Let sit and wipe
   -

   Dispose of used towel / rag in garbage as well as the gloves
   -

   Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds

Outstanding tasks

Tape customer limits at till, and outside the door for line up if required?

Communications

 Some important messaging

   -

   The health and safety of our staff, volunteers and clients is our top
   priority.
   -

   We recognize that access to bikes is important for physical and mental
   health, and that for many people cycling provides a social distancing
   alternative to public transportation. With that in mind we are looking at
   ways to adjust the way the shop works to continue to serve the community.

We encourage everyone to follow all recommendations outlined by the Public
Health Agency of Canada. What you can do to prevent illness:

   -

   Regularly wash your hands with warm water and soap, or use hand
   sanitizer for at least 20 seconds
   -

   Avoid close contact with people who are sick
   -

   Frequently clean and disinfect common surfaces like desk, countertops,
   doorknobs, phones, remote controls, keyboards, and phones
   -

   Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
   -

   Practise social distancing – staying home as much as possible and
   keeping 2 metres between you and others
   -

   Monitor your personal health and stay home if you are sick, even if your
   symptoms are mild

Remember to be aware of the spread of misinformation. Credible sources of
information about COVID-19 include www.canada.ca/coronavirus, www.bccdc.ca
or via the dedicated COVID-19 line at 1-888-COVID19.