[TheThinkTank] Park Tool School Mechanics Training

Ron Kellis ron.kellis at velocitycoop.org
Tue Feb 4 18:44:18 PST 2020

Late, but for what it's worth I've been around maintenance most of my life
and here's my $.02 Take a look at the bike wiki where I've posted the basic
maintenance class I use. IMHO it is a real disservice to not start with the
basics and then move to overhaul. So the order is important start with
stuff the students can use right away. My class is also based on classes
I've taken including from independent instructors.
Can't ride if the tires are flat. "A" Air
 Now it had better stop.  "B" Brakes
Pedals/crankarms  and chain so it;s not a push bike "C"
And a derailleur so it's not a single speed. "D"
Then teach hub overhaul, headset and bottom bracket.
Last is frame inspection and repairs if you have the tools.

So you can use the Park Manual for all of this, plus their videos and
others on YouTube you find helpful.  I can teach flat repair hands on and
the rest as "Show and tell" in 3 hours, two, a max of 3 students per
instructor/assistant.

The ABCD can be taught in sessions, and out of order, but do your students
a favor and start with stuff they can use with basic tools.

We have what's become two fractions at our coop and the people who work
with new volunteers refuse to consider requiring a class, or that the
volunteers must put in a commitment.  Every volunteer I've ever had take my
class has said "Gee, I wish I'd had this first." rather than just stripping
bikes for a few weeks,boredom sets in, and they leave. I tell potential
volunteers I will give the 3 hr. class for free, if they give back 9 ours.
That's 3 sessions of open shop helping patrons or refurbishing bikes. If we
never see them again, they got a good basic education and we got some help.
IMHO if they can't commit to that, then sorry but we have others to help.
So far I see a good 80% turn over in volunteers, in part I believe because
we don't set them up to succeed.

Like I said, my $.02

Ron

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 1:36 PM Robert Christiansen <
robert at sacbikekitchen.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The Sacramento Bike Kitchen would like to ramp up our educational
> offerings. The programs needs to be flexible yet structured and flexible to
> accommodate potential volunteer scheduling/availability fluctuations.
>
> I have been looking into the Park Tool Schools program as outlined in
> their BB-4TG Instructor Guide. I am impressed with their offering and feel
> it might fit our needs perfectly. We are thinking to first establish an
> in-house mechanic training course which could be mandatory for new
> volunteers and optional for current volunteer staff. We are 100% Volunteer
> run. We would then open it up to the public. Tuition if any has yet to be
> discussed.
>
> We would greatly appreciate any feed back from all of you if you have any
> experience with Park Tool School or similar curriculum.
>
> Secondly have any of you instituted a mandatory training for new
> volunteers? If so, any observations and reflections would be welcomed.
>
> Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated and we give many thanks to
> you all. Keep up the the great work.
>
> For The Sacramento Bike Kitchen,
> Robert Christiansen
> Http://sacbikekitchen.org

Ron Kellis | Véloteer & Basic Maintenance Instructor  | VéloCity Bicycle
Co-op | 2111 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria, VA  22301 | velocitycoop.org
| +1 (703)
549-1108