[TheThinkTank] Mission Statements and Fundraising Pitches

Audrey Wiedemeier audrey at bikelibrary.org
Thu Feb 6 12:00:47 PST 2020

Howdy Josh:

Great questions Josh! I am digging into some of this myself so my answers
reflect a lot about board/director fundraising stuff. A lot of the
fundraising needs to start with the board/steering committee. Not all the
fundraising can be left up to staff or even the fundraising committee.
Right now I am working on creating a form for potential board members to
fill out (finding qualified and enthusiastic leaders for board
recruitment), and outlining board member's roles and responsibilities
(which include asking for money and giving money and in our case time too).
I will share here when I am done drafting and if anyone else wants to send
their's our way, I'd love to see it.

1) What's your mission statement?
Get more people on bicycles.

2) What do you feel are the three most important parts of your fundraising
strategies for local granting orgs, city agencies, and deep-pocketed
individuals?

   - Fun events that are welcoming to different networks, engaging, and
   have delicious food that keeps people talking long after the event is over.
   Take photos.
   - Each year we commission a limited edition poster from a local
   printmaker for donors and volunteers that is of high quality. Our hope is
   that folks are proud of their contributions and hang it in their
   house/office/library/public space.
   - Equip board members and other fundraisers with real-life stories of
   how your shop changed someone's life.
   - Engage prospective donors sometimes years in advance (events, coffee,
   a bike ride!).
   - Strategize and consider who the best person on your team is to make
   the ask. A lot of the time that is the director.
   - Find out ahead of time if a prospective donor is interested in giving
   or not. Use their response/answer to add an opportunity to reveal their
   inclination and timing so you can narrow down your prospect pool. Put them
   higher or lower on your call list. E.g.: "Now, as a (insert title) of
   (insert shop), it is my job, at some point down the road in our
   conversations, to ask you to make a significant philanthropic commitment to
   us at the six-figure (or whatever) level. Today is not the day that I am
   asking you for that commitment, and I want the conversation to advance at a
   pace that is comfortable for you. I just want to let you know up front."

3) What is one lesson you've learned about fundraising that you wish you'd
known when you started out?
Don't be afraid to ask people how they want to make an impact. Be
persistent. Get good at the art of thanking funders.

Peace & grease,

*Audrey Wiedemeier* (She/her/hers)
Iowa City Bike Library, Director

700 S. Dubuque St, Iowa City
*Hours: *Sat. 10-3, Mon. 5-7, Tues. 6-8,
Wed. 6-8, Thurs. 6-8, Fri. 4:30-6:30

BikeLibrary.org
C: (515) 450-1651