[TheThinkTank] Visioning Meetings

Sunny Nestler programs at bikecoop.ca
Tue Jan 7 12:18:23 PST 2020

Actually nothing in the document is sensitive, I'm just gonna copy paste
the whole thing here in case anyone else wants to see. Note: VCBN is the
Vancouver Community Bike shop Network. I'm also happy to chat with anyone
who wants to talk about visioning sessions and how to set them up, I've
been in a million of them as participant, facilitator, and also in groups
that hired an outside facilitator.

Visoning outline for VCBN

Intros!

15min

Name, pronoun, why you are here, shops you are associated with?

1. GOALS (priority: info gathering)

30 min

What goals have already been mentioned?

Do we have anything to add? (popcorn, scribing)

eg:

   -

   Resource allocation
   -

   Data collection/sharing
   -

   Advocacy
   -

   Outreach
   -

   Donations/recycling
   -

   Fundraising
   -

   Programming

2. SCOPE (priority: info gathering)

30 min?

What are the VCBN’s priorities?

Who will the VCBN serve and how?

Structure:

Break out into a few groups, each group discusses amongst selves and
reports back on ideas - share, record, summarize, report

   -

   Separate by shop
   -

   Organizational reflection
   -

   Prioritizing the things!

(What does the VCBN do?)

(What does each org want from/for the VCBN?)

(What is the scope of the VCBN outside/beyond the three core groups?
Timeline? Internal/external?)

BREAK 15 min

3. GROUP STRUCTURE AND DECISION MAKING (priority: establishing a structure
we can cope with for 6 months and then assess :) )

1.5 hours (start by 5:45?)

Preamble:

   -

   A structure that isn’t nec person dependant
   -

   We can’t make something that meets everyone’s needs perfectly right now:
   what can we live with for the time being and try out?

Concerns:

   -

   Shop representation
   -

   Communication and accountability re: people impacted by VCBN’s
   activities
   -

   Paid vs unpaid participation
   -

   “Double dippers” - ppl involved in multiple orgs

Structure:

Break out into a few groups, each group discusses amongst selves and
reports back on ideas - share, record, summarize, report

   -

   Mix up the shops!
   -

   3 groups

Some dot voting on things ppl like about different ideas?

Discuss:

   -

   What is important to people about different systems

Facilitate until it is done

4. MISSION STATEMENT?

30 min?

WRAP UP