[TheThinkTank] Visioning Meetings

mist at strans.org mist at strans.org
Tue Jan 7 15:29:34 PST 2020

Hi,

In 2016, we crafted a long range, big
picture vision when we took on the task of buying
a 2 acre property with a 28,000 sq ft building in the
heart of Missoula. (we raised the down payment
outright with cash donations, then assembled
8 tenants to cover the mortgage)

We had many pot lucks, round tables and one on
one conversations. Then our two main staff (myself
and our programs director, Emily) spent a bunch
of time sifting, sorting, editing, re-dreaming;

the 4 page doc is found here:

http://www.freecycles.org/vision

we update it every year or so (it's due once again for
revision as time/people/energy change)

It's focused on expanding our basic Free Cycles programs
(Open Shop, Build a Bike), adding new programs (a hostel,
learning center, bike share), our advocacy efforts (bikeways,
roundabouts, road diets, sustainable paving) and also the
dream of going off-grid, carbon neutral, no fossil fuels, and
local and healthy materials to retrofit the building.

the doc is brief, and our plan is to take on pieces as we can,
expanding the pieces with work plans and rough budgets

happy to talk more to anyone via mist at strans.org or
406.830.7676

-Bob Giordano, director, Free Cycles, MIST