[TheThinkTank] Online interactive bicycle workshops

Ainsley Naylor needleandthread at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 06:49:57 PDT 2020

There are a variety of formats that you *might* be asking about, so I'm
curious if you just want to hear about what everyone has tried so far, or
if you have a specific style/format in mind and would like some things to
reference or be inspired by?

I know in Toronto members of our Toronto Community Bike Collectives (TCBC)
have been doing a wide variety of online content including:

   - live repair demonstrations (through Facebook/Instagram live)
   - virtual/call-in repair assistance (through facetime or whatever
   platform worked for participants)
   - online classes which have interactive content (question blocks, "hot
   spot" images, videos with pop up content) which is an example of
   asynchronous learning
   - "webinar" style workshops through zoom - this one we are doing this
   week, presenting a 4-part Bike Touring learning series, adapted from our
   regular 5-part in person program. It's going really well and we've had the
   privilege of getting to include "guest speakers" from other time zones
   since we don't need to all be in the same place! Two of our bikebike pals
   joined us so far to share their experience, and one of our graduates and
   volunteers is joining us tomorrow from where they are tree planting in
   British Columbia!

I'd be happy to provide more info on my own experiences once we know what
kind of content you are thinking about :)

Ainsley (Toronto)