[TheThinkTank] Thethinktank Digest, Vol 166, Issue 2

Lawrence Mohammed law at probikeservice.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 16:45:20 PDT 2020

Blimey Josh...not in the US but what has been going on there, triggered
by George Floyd's death, has lit a fuse around the world and
(thankfully) we're seeing a lot of structural injustices being
highlighted and examined right now.

re: "the Mechanical Gardens' visible support for and engagement with the
BLM movement makes us unappealing to insurers. Carriers consider BLM
and, I quote, "the whole George Floyd thing" to be a "touchy" and "hot
button issue" (these are actual quotes from brokers! wtf!) and thus our
involvement makes us an unattractive risk to take on."

I'm making the assumption that the Mechanical Gardens have a code of
conduct or policy that states your non-negotiable values and is aligned
for the greater good, community building and non-violence?...personally,
I'd seek out another Insurer who shares your values...or....if you feel
the EDC's values are closely aligned with your own, I'd also share the
challenge with them...maybe they could recommend an Insurer or share a
statement of solidarity that could act as leverage?

I'd also lean into rather than away from the Insurer/s who've stated
this to find out more.  Insurance is all about risk after all.  Aligning
with all those who support racial equality and justice should be less
risky, not more so.  I'd frame every conversation in terms of risk and
what is being done to mititgate that risk

Warmest regards,

*Lawrence Mohammed*
Director & Head Mechanic
Pro Bike Service C.I.C.