[TheThinkTank] Wheel sizing system?

Jim Sheehan jim at ohiocitycycles.org
Mon Jul 6 09:52:54 PDT 2020

We use (true) rims marked with their sizes: you hold the "sizer" rim
against the one to ID with both hands on opposite sides, and if they are
not the same you will feel the difference, down to the smallest variance
(584 to 590 BSD). This will even detect rims that are nominally the same
but not exactly (one factor in the mysterious "tight fitting tire
syndrome"). Works with a tire still mounted on the target wheel, with
practice. We tie a "sizer" rim to each corresponding section of the wheel
room to check before hanging, and double check before choosing.
Jim Sheehan
Executive Director
Ohio City Bicycle Co-op
1840 Columbus Rd