[TheThinkTank] How is your bike co-op supporting racial justice? // ¿Como están apoyando la justicia racial en su colectivo?

momoko saunders analyst at bikefarm.org
Mon Jul 6 11:36:54 PDT 2020

Hi All,

I think this is a really important discussion and would love to hear what
other shops are doing. (sorry I am unable to reply in Spanish)

Bike Farm in Portland is doing a few things:
 - We are trying to continue our conversations around equity and racial
diversity despite covid and not being able to meet in person. While it's
not as robust as it should be, I believe we will continue to prioritize
this conversation in the next few weeks
 - We are setting up mobile repair (somewhat like a street fair) at BLM
protests. We will offer free minor repairs for people attending protests.
 - For Juneteenth, we offered a free repair day for BIPOC folks, working
with the ride leader for the Black Liberation Ride.

I think generally what we are doing is being open and generous to any BIPOC
organization that could benefit from our resources. We are endeavouring to
listen to what the community tells us they need and not be
prescriptive about how we can help. We are internally trying to educate our
members and volunteers. We are listening to the voices of our BIPOC
members/volunteers, trying to hear what they need to be safe in our space
or safe out on the street.

Our history with being an inclusive space for all races has not been
perfect. We are wrestling with how to sit with our failures, acknowledge
them, and work towards changes that address the issues. Pre Covid, we were
creating a night for spanish speaking folks and setting up movie nights
that educate our community about the injustice experienced by black people
who lived in our neighborhood well before we got here. I believe there will
likely be systemic changes that are needed. When we figure them out, maybe
we'll post again regarding what we have found.

Again, I'd love to hear about what other shops are thinking.
-Momoko