[TheThinkTank] How is your bike co-op supporting racial justice? // ¿Como están apoyando la justicia racial en su colectivo?

Alysia Herr alysiaherr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 11:33:51 PDT 2020

Hey all,

Thanks to Aida for bringing this up, and to everyone else for their

At Kickstand in Vancouver, BC, we are exploring the idea of offering small
grants to aspiring BIPOC mechanics.  We're still in the early stages of
planning, but some ideas:

   - Exploring a partnership with our distributors - this could look like
   discounts or donations of tools, parts, stands, etc.
   - Offering a budget ($500? $1000?) towards at-cost tools and parts in
   conjunction with or in lieu of the aforementioned partnership
   - Reaching out to our local bike mechanics school to see if they would
   be interested in offering reduced cost or free training

We are in a pretty solid financial position at the moment, so I think we
could foot the cost of this ourselves, but I'll also be looking into grant
funding to support this program.

I am *very *interested in any feedback folks might have. My hope is that
this program will uplift BIPOC folks and provide a means to gain a foothold
in the cycling industry. But as an all-volunteer organization, we don't
have the capacity, necessarily, to offer ongoing support beyond provision
of tools (and maybe external training).  I worry about that, but also am
conscious that ongoing support could end up being something more akin to
tokenism than actual support.  Feel free to contact me privately if any of
y'all want to continue this discussion off-thread.  (Also heeeey other
Vancouver shops - I haven't brought this up to y'all yet, but maybe we can
collab?)

Alysia