[TheThinkTank] Ghost Bike in Vancouver - looking for help

Jim Sheehan jim at ohiocitycycles.org
Wed Jul 22 07:16:58 PDT 2020

So sorry to read this sad news.  OCBC has painted many ghost bikes, several
for Sylvia Bingham <http://sylviabinghamfund.org/>, whose parents are a
real inspiration for how to deal with deep sadness most proactively.

Take your time, and use good paint, and several coats.  Glossy is nice.  A
rushed sloppy job looks like a bike stolen by clueless kids. Choose a
non-cloth seat that will take paint well.

Take the pedals off, or the chain, and probably lock it (as inconspicuously
as possible) or it will get stolen eventually.  We replace Sylvia's ghost
bike each year before the anniversary of her death, when her parents come
to town and organize a ride to the site.

Lay the bike on one side, let dry, then do the other.  There will be lots
of overspray.  I have painted the bike in the street near the site, which
made a reverse-image bike on the roadway, perhaps a bit too scary.

My condolences to your friends,
Jim
Jim Sheehan
Executive Director