[TheThinkTank] Bike Storage Optimization

Daniel Byrd daniel at kidsonbikes.net
Tue Jun 9 05:33:44 PDT 2020

Morning!

Sorry- meant to get back to you sooner. I've not had the opportunity to
swing by one for a better picture...
ATTACHED are two pictures that I was able to dig up.

We've gone with long 2x6" boards with bicycle hooks every six to eight
inches apart and just alternate the bicycles hanging with handlebars up,
then down.
The hooks within the container serve as our point at which to secure the
2x6" with carabiners and chain. We've also been successful with strong
tie-downs from the hooks built within the container to the hooks at the
floor of the container directly below (or should be directly below)
Our most secure way has been to use both the carabiner, chain, "s"hook to
an 'eye' hook AND use a tie-down for stabilization of the entire 2x6"
- Using both is a way to ensure there's extra strength should something
fail. Use the long strap of the tie-down to wrap around the 2x6" once or
twice as this will also help keep the 2x6" from coming out away from the
wall of the container, side to side, etc.

This is not the best, but it's relatively very inexpensive, easy to set up,
and can be done by 2 people in an afternoon. Key is using the strength of
the hooks already built within the container.
I would also recommend that you do not drill holes in the container. It's
tougher to do and keeping it in as best of shape as you can with it in mind
as an 'asset' for whatever the future might hold (selling it off when you
no longer need it, giving it away, etc.) just keeping it sound in that
regard without permanently damaging it has been our approach.

Hope this is helpful, keep up the great work!, and let me know if I can be
of further help to you.

*Daniel Byrd*
Executive Director
Kids on Bikes