[TheThinkTank] How Were Your Organizational Transitions?

Carlyn Arteaga carlyn.arteaga at bicas.org
Fri Jun 19 17:39:18 PDT 2020

  We are paid-staff-run but still consensus-based and mostly still
sales-via-donations sustained. I wasn't around during the transition,
though, so I can't help much on that front. But happy to answer any
specific questions about how we make it work.
~Carlyn

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 1:29 AM Dennis Wollersheim <dewoller at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would also like to hear about this.  Our organisation is trying to hire
> a manager for the first time, and I can see it will be difficult for the
> board / senior volunteers to let go of control.   I get exasperated when
> the board spends an hour discussing the wording of a social media post.  In
> my view, these should be procedural issues, dealt with by the manager.  It
> will be a painful transition, I reckon.
>
> Cheers
> Dennis
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:13 AM Thomas Butler <
> thomas.unavailable at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I’m interested to hear from people whose organizations made transitions
>> from:
>>
>> volunteer-centric to staff-centric
>>
>> all-donation to grant-(or retail-)funded
>>
>> consensus-run to exclusive/majoritarian board (or something else)
>>

>> In particular what were peoples’ objections to the transition? What
>> problems or pitfalls were there? Did the shop lose its independence? What
>> net-negatives were there (even if overwhelmingly outweighed by all the
>> positives?)
>>
>> Please feel free to reply to my personal email here if there’s something
>> you don’t want to put on blast:
>>
>> thomas.unavailable at gmail.com
>>
>> My interest is not regarding articles of incorporation or how to fill out
>> 501c3 paperwork. (there are threads on those topics in TheThinkTank
>> archives
>> <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/>
>> if anyone is curious). Your testimonial is likely more relevant if your
>> organization's incorporation is far in the past relative to its
>> transition(s).
>>
>> Thank you all so much for the work you do in your own communities and for
>> the work you do in this community of ours.
>>
>> Thomas Butler
>>
>> he | they
>>
>> Austin’s Yellow Bike Project

*Carlyn Arteaga*

*pronouns: they/them/theirs*

Youth Program Coordinator

*BICAS*

2001 N. 7th Ave. | Tucson, AZ 85701 | Shop: 520-628-7950

carlyn.arteaga at bicas.org | www.bicas.org | Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/bicascollective/> | Instagram
<http://www.instagram.com/bicastucson/>

*Through advocacy and bicycle salvage, our mission is to participate in
affordable bicycle transportation, education, and creative recycling with
our greater Tucson community.*