[TheThinkTank] Outdoor public repair stands

David Highman davidahighman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 08:18:32 PDT 2020

Hi Kim,
I saw this question and it took me a while to get a response together. I
recently built a homebrew bike repair station for Third Hand Bicycle Co-op
partially as a result of the impact of Covid-19, and it has been installed
and in use for 62 days now.

I thought about the design long before I made this, but when we decided to
go ahead it was assembled pretty hastily to get something out there fast.
As a result of that, and uncertainty about the usefulness and security of
it, I treated it as more prototype than finished product. I didn't invest
much in the tools and parts or thoroughly rust proof because there was a
risk it would be stolen or destroyed within days. I'm proud to say it has
held up well and is still there, although I have ideas for additions and
improvements already.

In terms of security it has proved to be at least somewhat theft resistant.
Our area does not give the strongest sense of security: we are in a
somewhat abandoned industrial area adjacent to many scrap yards, and we
have struggled with theft. Our co-op actually had the door sledgehammmered
in and burglarized in the time since I installed these tools yet they have
remained there. I think the moderate security offered by the steel cables,
and mounting bolts, combined with relative cheapness of the tools has kept
them there. It seems that rust and wear is going to be a bigger issue to
contend with.

Our biggest concern at the time of installing this was virus spread. I
installed it with a sign cautioning people to be careful and wash their
hands, and I have tried to disinfect the tools almost daily.

I know the tools are getting used based on encounters with people using
them when I've come to the shop. I also see abandoned parts and evidence of
use around the tools when I go to clean them. I have talked with some
people using the tools and gotten questions and input on other tools or
equipment they'd like to have available.

Attached is a document with more information about construction of the
public tool station, it's not a how-to but maybe a source of ideas and
inspiration for someone else wishing to do this. Total cost was about $70
for just the tool station and $100 with the air supply setup (but we had a
lot of stuff lying around).

-David Highman
Coordinator at Third Hand Bicycle Co-op, Columbus OH
DavidAHighman at gmail.com