[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops

Jimmy Hallyburton jimmy at boisebicycleproject.org
Thu Mar 12 13:22:23 PDT 2020

Here is the statement/blog post we made last week. you can also view it at
https://www.boisebicycleproject.org/bbpexperience/2020/3/9/bbp-and-the-corona-virus-covid-19
At the current "low risk level" communicated by our State, because of no
known cases found, this seems to be working, but we will adjust as needed.

Because BBP is a shared-use cooperative space, we wanted to make sure we
reached out to let you know how we, as an organization, are taking
precautions against Coronavirus (COVID-19). We believe *“precautions” *is
the correct word as we strongly believe in taking Coronavirus seriously
while proactively maintaining BBP as a safe space for the community to work
on their bikes, purchase used bikes and parts, and create positive impact
for others. Now is not the time to panic; it’s the time to double down on
building a healthy and resilient community for ALL.

Below are some new *Coronavirus Free BBP Rules* we are putting in place to
maintain a safe hygienic space for all of our shop users. This is not a
substitute for broader precautions, and we ask that you *stay informed and
up to date about COVID-19 from reliable sources *. It is temping and easy
to go down a deep dark Coronavirus rabbit hole on the world wide web, but
the information on *CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) page*
<https://www.cdc.gov/> and *Idaho’s Coronavirus page*
<https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/> is great and updated regularly. As of
3/9/2020 the individual risk in Idaho is still at Low.
*NEW “CoronaVIRUS FREE BBP” RULES*

   1.

   *Stay home and don’t come to BBP if you’re feeling sick.* Our staff has
   been given strict instructions to do the same and as many extra sick days
   as they need to accomplish this.
   2.

   *A.B.W. (Always Be Washing) Rule.* When you arrive at BBP, we will ask
   you to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds* (**the
   CDC way* <https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/>*) *before working on your
   bike and again after working on your bike. Our mechanics will be washing
   their hands between each customer they assist with bicycle repair. We will
   be asking our volunteers to do the same during Volunteer Night.
   3.

   *Clean tools, clean stands. *Since we share surface areas (tools and
   stands) at BBP, we will wiping used tools and each stand down between
   customers.
   4.

   *Gloves if you need them.* BBP will provide surgical gloves if you’d
   like to use them when working on your bike. Feel free to bring your own if
   you have them.
   5.

   *No food or drinks on the shop floor. *Since we are all trying to avoid
   touching our face area as much as possible, especially in community
   settings, we’re asking that you consume your food and beverages before or
   after you come to BBP. We will be providing free popcorn to go, but will
   ask that you wash your hands before taking a bag.
   6.

   *Be Cool Be Calm Ride On. *These are precautions, we are taking this
   seriously, and these are not reasons to panic. So keep riding and stay
   healthy because there has never been a better time to be on a bike.

*STIGMA AND RESILIENCE*

*Please read this article*
<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/related-stigma.html> about
the danger of stigma and discrimination that can occur when people
associate a disease, such as COVID-19, with a population or nationality,
even though not everyone in that population or from that region is
specifically at risk for the disease.
*YOU CAN HELP*

   1.

   Drop off your clean rags at BBP (old washed t-shirts, towels…)
   2.

   Extra soap, disinfectant, surface cleaner, wipes, hand sanitizer,
   surgical gloves, kleenex ? We’ll take em!
   3.

   Keep supporting all of your local nonprofits and businesses!

Ride On!

Jimmy Hallyburton (He, Him, His)
Founder / Executive Director
Boise Bicycle Project
(208)-429-6520
1027 Lusk St Boise, ID 83706
www.boisebicycleproject.org

Explore some of the BBP Journey in my TEDx Talk on Moving at the Speed of
Discovery <https://youtu.be/yDubr-RjlCE?t=6s>!
A little more about BBP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-v5vS-03gk
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-v5vS-03gk>!
And BBP's collaboration with the City of Boise to get rid of Goatheads
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACqGpM6o3_k>!