[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Thu Mar 12 13:44:45 PDT 2020

@BBP: How are you wiping down your tools? I've been worried that there
isn't a reliable way to do this for a lot of our tools, such as the ones
with ratty old rubber handles.

@everyone: Can we get to sharing some techniques for hygiene in such a
physically complex environment? I'm struggling to envision, personally.

We do always have nitrile gloves on hand, and many participants use
them.

~cyclista Nicholas

On 2020-03-12 20:24, Sue Prant wrote:
> In Boulder, CO we are closing on Sunday until the end if the month.
> This is
> difficult. We have a large operation with 25 employees.
>
> Sue Prant
> Community Cycles
> Boulder, CO
>
> Sent from my phone.
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020, 2:18 PM Jimmy Hallyburton <
> jimmy at boisebicycleproject.org> wrote:
>
>> Here is the statement/blog post we made last week. you can also view
>> it at
>> https://www.boisebicycleproject.org/bbpexperience/2020/3/9/bbp-and-the-corona-virus-covid-19
>> At the current "low risk level" communicated by our State, because of
>> no
>> known cases found, this seems to be working, but we will adjust as
>> needed.
>>
>> Because BBP is a shared-use cooperative space, we wanted to make sure
>> we
>> reached out to let you know how we, as an organization, are taking
>> precautions against Coronavirus (COVID-19). We believe *“precautions”
>> *is
>> the correct word as we strongly believe in taking Coronavirus
>> seriously
>> while proactively maintaining BBP as a safe space for the community to
>> work
>> on their bikes, purchase used bikes and parts, and create positive
>> impact
>> for others. Now is not the time to panic; it’s the time to double down
>> on
>> building a healthy and resilient community for ALL.
>>
>> Below are some new *Coronavirus Free BBP Rules* we are putting in
>> place
>> to maintain a safe hygienic space for all of our shop users. This is
>> not a
>> substitute for broader precautions, and we ask that you *stay informed
>> and up to date about COVID-19 from reliable sources *. It is temping
>> and
>> easy to go down a deep dark Coronavirus rabbit hole on the world wide
>> web,
>> but the information on *CDC (Center for Disease Control and
>> Prevention)
>> page* <https://www.cdc.gov/> and *Idaho’s Coronavirus page*
>> <https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/> is great and updated regularly. As of
>> 3/9/2020 the individual risk in Idaho is still at Low.
>> *NEW “CoronaVIRUS FREE BBP” RULES*
>>
>>    1.
>>
>>    *Stay home and don’t come to BBP if you’re feeling sick.* Our staff
>>    has been given strict instructions to do the same and as many extra
>> sick
>>    days as they need to accomplish this.
>>    2.
>>
>>    *A.B.W. (Always Be Washing) Rule.* When you arrive at BBP, we will
>> ask
>>    you to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds*
>> (**the
>>    CDC way* <https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/>*) *before working on
> [...]
>>> 647-0797, and return the original message to me at the above address
>>> via
>>> email.  Thank you.