[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops

Kevin Dwyer kevidwyer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:15:51 PDT 2020

Look folks, is your activity that important? I understand that you do good,
but you can do better, we all can, by slowing things down. Is your shop's
services more important than health care workers, fire fighters or other
first responders? I don't think so. Hospitals in infected areas are being
overwhelmed. There aren't enough ventilators. The slower this moves, the
more people that will survive it.

Do everything you can to minimize people getting together. Send your
mechanics home with a pile of bikes, tools and workbench. Build an outside
repair stand. Only allow one (uninfected) worker in the store at a time.
Throw a pile of tubes, cables and chains by the door.

Do it for your community. Be proactive, there is little penalty for getting
it wrong in that direction and these measures work way better "before" as
opposed to "during" (which is (nearly) where we are now in many places).