[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops

Dennis Wollersheim dewoller at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 02:17:21 PDT 2020

Melbourne Bike Shed (Australia) will close until April 18th, but we have no
paid staff.  Thanks so much for this discussion, that was the instigating
factor. This is the blurb:

Due to the ongoing and emerging Covid 19 pandemic, we will close the bike
shed until after Easter, due to reopen on April 19th.

Bicycles are important, but the shed is not an essential service.  The
health system is about to undergo a huge strain (e.g. Italy
<https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/suddenly-the-er-is-collapsing-a-doctors-stark-warning-from-italys-coronavirus-epicentre/>,
China
<https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-we-fail-what-happens-to-you-all-one-doctors-life-on-the-coronavirus-front-lines-11583344415?mod=rsswn>),
and anything we do to increase social distancing will lessen that strain.
We close to keep ourselves safe, but even more importantly, we close for
the sake of the community. It does not make sense for us to gather people
from all over Melbourne and the world, handling tools, touching surfaces,
working together closely, at this time.