[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops, essential services thought

Kevin Dwyer kevidwyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 15:05:42 PDT 2020

Way to be proactive! That's the community bike shop way.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 4:04 PM Sue Prant <sue at communitycycles.org> wrote:

> At this point we are asking hourly folks to use PTO. Thanks to someone
> else's suggestion, we do have a few people building bikes at home.
> Salary staff is mostly admin & we are going to do all the things we never
> get to - update web site, writing enough blog posts to last a while,
> retooling reports, etc.
> We are running financial models on what we could pay people if this
> extends into April.
>
> Sue Prant
> Community Cycles
> Boulder, CO
>
> Sent from my phone.
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2020, 3:57 PM Cyclista Nicholas <cyclista at inventati.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Bob,
>>
>> Thanks for this important point. At our shop, we've had almost a
>> thousand individual participants come through in the last three years.
>> If we did our job, that many people out there in the community should be
>> able to influence repair capability citywide, even without access to the
>> shop.
>>
>> All,
>>
>> We're still evaluating our response, but I agree it's pragmatic to take
>> extreme measures earlier, if for no other reason than to spread out
>> (ease) the burden on essential medical systems.
>>
>> How are shops with employees paid hourly dealing with the notion of
>> closing? Will employees stil be paid in some fashion, or are they
>> essentially being laid off in the case of closures?
>>
>> ~cyclista Nicholas (Director, Recycle Ithaca's Bicycles)
>>

>> On 2020-03-13 18:38, Bob Giordano wrote:
>> > Just a quick thought on 'essential services':
>> >
>> > I think that community bicycle shops are essential
>> > for healthy, vibrant, socially just communities,
>> > in today's 'modern' age.... especially as a long
>> > term strategy to improve our cooperative systems.
>> >
>> > Community bicycle shops are likely not essential
>> > as far as absolute survival and in the context of
>> > remaining open during this pandemic.
>> >
>> > Hopefully we've all done enough community work
>> > to help people learn skills to work together
>> > and fix things, with our without a dedicated
>> > space.
>> >
>> > Just wanted to put this thought out there, as
>> > many shops are deciding how to move forward.
>> >
>> > Thanks, Bob Giordano, Free Cycles Missoula

Kevin Dwyer
801.647.0797

IMPORTANT:  This communication is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain information
that is confidential and/or protected by the attorney-client or other
applicable privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if you are
not responsible for delivering this communication to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that the disclosure of this
communication in error, please notify me immediately by telephone at (801)
647-0797, and return the original message to me at the above address via
email.  Thank you.