[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops, essential services thought

Jack Murphy jack at bikewalkwichita.org
Sat Mar 14 07:46:27 PDT 2020

Here's what Bike Walk Wichita posted:

Official statement from Kim Neufeld, Executive Director regarding COVID-19:

Bike Walk Wichita is closely monitoring the COVID-19 Pandemic. At this
time, no changes will be made to events that take place outdoors. Indoor
events will open based on best practices including spacing and appropriate
social distance.

Social distancing is necessary to mitigate the spread of coronavirus—but I
know social isolation is not easy. Bicycling and walking, whether for
everyday transportation or recreation, are still safe activities, and I
encourage you to keep riding and walking in Wichita and enjoying all of the
benefits they provide to your physical, mental and environmental health. I
also know how important it is to stay connected to community during
challenging times, and that includes our #BikeWalkWichita friends and
family. So join us, virtually or in person as you feel able so we can stay
connected.

*Here are our upcoming events that we are planning to continue:*

and we list our ReCycle shop hours, other walking and biking events. Our
county health department is not recommending businesses shut down, but
instead is focused on larger events, over 250 people, as likely vectors, so
we plan to provide for the needs of our constituents as much as we can.

Jack Murphy
Volunteer Coordinator
Bike Walk Wichita

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 5:33 PM Cyclista Nicholas <cyclista at inventati.org>
wrote:

> Sue,
>
> We're probably going to need to do that as well. Please keep the list
> updated with anything you come up with? Also how many employees you have
> responsibility for would be interesting in that context.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> ~cyclista Nicholas
>

> On 2020-03-13 22:03, Sue Prant wrote:
> > At this point we are asking hourly folks to use PTO. Thanks to someone
> > else's suggestion, we do have a few people building bikes at home.
> > Salary staff is mostly admin & we are going to do all the things we
> > never
> > get to - update web site, writing enough blog posts to last a while,
> > retooling reports, etc.
> > We are running financial models on what we could pay people if this
> > extends
> > into April.
> >
> > Sue Prant
> > Community Cycles
> > Boulder, CO
> >
> > Sent from my phone.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 13, 2020, 3:57 PM Cyclista Nicholas
> > <cyclista at inventati.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Bob,
> >>
> >> Thanks for this important point. At our shop, we've had almost a
> >> thousand individual participants come through in the last three years.
> >> If we did our job, that many people out there in the community should
> >> be
> >> able to influence repair capability citywide, even without access to
> >> the
> >> shop.
> >>
> >> All,
> >>
> >> We're still evaluating our response, but I agree it's pragmatic to
> >> take
> >> extreme measures earlier, if for no other reason than to spread out
> >> (ease) the burden on essential medical systems.
> >>
> >> How are shops with employees paid hourly dealing with the notion of
> >> closing? Will employees stil be paid in some fashion, or are they
> >> essentially being laid off in the case of closures?
> >>
> >> ~cyclista Nicholas (Director, Recycle Ithaca's Bicycles)

Jack Murphy
Jack at BikeWalkWichita.org

*Bike Walk Wichita’s Mission is to transform Wichita into a more livable,
accessible, *
*connected city **by making biking and walking safe, equitable, and
appealing.*